Looking at a truck. need some opinions please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure on the rust. im lookin for a cheap dd. the gas in this tahoe is killing me! 12 mpg tops with the 285 mudders. i can get it for $650 so i think i can fix everything and be in it around $1000 which aint bad i dont think. id go to pull a part and get my parts. im thinkin about selling my tahoe so when it sells ill have more money to lower it/customize it a bit. he said the interior is rough but thats no biggie. and thanks for the reply!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest, I'd be very cautious on that man. I wouldn't pay anymore then you could make parting it out. Because If he said the frame is pushed in a good 5", the entire frame is likely shifted. So your looking at an easy $500 - $600 on the frame rack, then you'll be needing a complete front clip, loaded header, bumper, core support, radiator, and hood. I'd say by the time you got everything fixed, and if you did it all yourself, you probably looking at $1500 - $2000. Also do you know how many miles are on the truck? He says theres 151,*** on the motor so i assume its got 200K+ on the body and rest of the drivetrain?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks. what do you think i could part it out for? i didnt think about the frame shifting. its about 45 mins away. should i just save my gas and keep looking?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks. what do you think i could part it out for? i didnt think about the frame shifting. its about 45 mins away. should i just save my gas and keep looking?

Honestly the most desirable part of the truck is is smashed. Whenever i've parted out a GMT400 truck, the first thing that sells is the front clip, grille, bumpers and the transmission. IMO I'd just save the 25 bucks in gas, and keep on looking, unless you can get a killer deal on it and part it out.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see the appeal in picking up something like that for a project, but I have to agree and say pass on it. Like mentioned, you're gonna end up way more into it than its worth and all you're gonna have to show for it is a bunch of bloody knuckles and an empty wallet. Even if it was free, I'd still be leary.

The only time I'd consider taking on that kind of headache and risk is if it was a really clean well cared for higher value truck/suv.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you guys never heard of your local tech college? We got one here that has a frame rack for the autobody shop, we used it on a ranger/mazda truck. They'll do it for basically free you can just give a donation to the school or something.

It's basically shop class too for HS, cuz I took it when I was in HS.

Yes I would be scared of the frame too, didn't know you wanted it for a daily, thought maybe parts or part out. I wouldn't bother fixing it for myself either, unless I had a frame or could get one. Frame swap would be easier I think, even if they pull it I doubt it ever be perfect again.

Keep that in mind though, the local HS or later shops and tech colleges and such do this stuff for next to nothing. They paint, weld, body work, carpentry, computers, mechanics, machine shop, all kinds of things. I know if our small hick town does it yalls should too.

When I was there we were doing a race car, complete car gutted to drag car, all the work done, we removed the windows and did body work, we cut 1/4's off an s-10 blazer and put on new ones, frame straightening on that mazda truck, whole front clip replacement, restoration on a 65 mercury meteor.