Need some advice on a 1995 K1500 potential purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
trucks typically have some kind of frame damage from plowing, why, because when one is plowing they cannot see every little lip that the blade is going to catch & make the plow assembly jump & twist

On Monday i was flying up a gravel driveway and hit a new rock that frost pushed up recently. Plow flew upwards to maximum extension instead of just tripping. **** like that happens to geveryone when you're doing commercial amounts of plowing. Look at plowing miles as ten times harder on frame and suspension.[/QUOTE]

jb007

Reaction score
I own a 1995 GMC K1500 SLE. As others have eluded to, this year is an oddball. In particular is the fact that it is an ODB-1 and not an ODB-2 ecu. ODB-2 arrived in 1996. So, do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a 1996 or newer. I do believe that the Vortec heads arrived in 1996 as well (correct me if I am wrong). If I was aware of those 2 things before I bought my truck (at the time I was oblivious to such things) I would have not even considered buying it.

I live in Ohio and bought my truck in Ohio. I knew it was rusty underneath and in the usual places (cab corners, bed rails, door skin bottoms, etc). When I bought it I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a truck that would only get occasional use. It only has 100K miles and the outside it is nice and shiny. The interior was squeaky clean too (only 1 crack in the dash). Everything works, except for the aftermarket switch that for the life of me I can't figure out what it does and about half of the backlights on the radio. I put 2 tires on it, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery - all the normal maintenance stuff. I did the salad bowl upgrade to the intake/air filter.

What I wasn't prepared for was having to put on new brake lines front and rear as those had rusted through. Plus all new brakes on the front - the bleeders were rusted solid in the calipers. I was able to open one bleeder on the rear and had to vise grip the other one after rounding it off because it was so rusty. The A/C worked when I got it, but failed sometime last winter. Replaced the exhaust because it was rusted through in addition to a cracked exhaust manifold, new fuel pump, replaced a shifter cable because the transmission end rusted off, put in some shims to deal with the worn out door hinges, new power steering hoses. I need to replace the front end components (ball joints, tie rods, etc) and I am guessing that I will end up replacing a lot of other stuff as well because of all the rust.

bamabound

Reaction score
Nope. If it was a 3500 big block with a 4l80e I might maybe give him a 1000 just for parts.
A small block 4l60e rotted plow truck.
No way
6k? Dude is smoking crazy ****.
Set aside 1k for gas cheetos beef jerkey and motel rooms
Take the other 5k and get a buddy to drive you as far as you need to go to get a better truck.
They are out there.
You just gotta go the extra distance to get them
X2, exactly what I did, drove from AL to eastern NC to buy mine and had a blast doing it.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the truck was worth a **** wouldn’t the plow guy keep it going and making money? I’m not from a snow state so I’m ignorant but common sense says he’d keep it earning until the grave
Yea when that reverse starts taking a bit longer to engage or you feel a weird shudder or some other 3000 dollar repair.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, no real way to
X2, exactly what I did, drove from AL to eastern NC to buy mine and had a blast doing it.[/QUOTE
Yep, no real way to loose with that plan.
You get a good truck, you get a road trip with a friend, you get the memories from all of that and you feel pretty damn satisfied for doing it.
All of which makes you a whole lot more happy with the vehicle you bought.
And, you get a chase vehicle to follow you home.
If you ever face the choice between road trip or stay home?
Road trip wins every time

95GMT400TX

Reaction score
If the truck was worth a **** wouldn’t the plow guy keep it going and making money? I’m not from a snow state so I’m ignorant but common sense says he’d keep it earning until the grave

Plow guy gave it to his nephew in Dallas area that needed a truck and thought it would be nice for him. Kid fell out of love with trucks and wants a hatchback. He is selling the truck to start that out apparently (or as the story goes).

I am taking a pass and looking for something better

95GMT400TX

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking a pass on this one. I am just GMT400 drunk and was hoping to make it work with a truck that should not be. I will keep looking. I gotta respect my time and money. I am not loaded and it took quite a while to save this money working some real tough hours. I will find something better to honor that work.

Take it easy...

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking a pass on this one. I am just GMT400 drunk and was hoping to make it work with a truck that should not be. I will keep looking. I gotta respect my time and money. I am not loaded and it took quite a while to save this money working some real tough hours. I will find something better to honor that work.

Take it easy...

keep hunting they’re out there to be had if you kick enough tires