Limited slip??????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Yep, your G80 is toast... mine started acting the same way. When the shop pulled it out of the truck, here's what mine looked like.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Replaced it with an Eaton Detriot TrueTrac and now I have piece of mind that the gov-bomb is out of my life.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, just pull the cover off. If you are running stock tires, you are fine (don't recommend donuts either.)

I would vote on the gear oil additive causing erratic operation.

I have the G80 on my Silverado 1500 (10 bolt) and K3500 (14 bolt FF) and they work just fine. My newly acquired GMT 800 Suburban 2500 (14 bolt SF) also has it. About 700k between the 3 vehicles. I've never had them lock together unintentionally, nor blown up on me

I don't think they were intended for heavy off road use, mainly for limited/poor traction on pavement. They have been around forever! Watch this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As I understand it, they aren't "lockers" as was stated earlier in the sense that both axles are not locked together, as a "selectable" locker would. Larger wheels, mudding or heavy off road would definitely warrant something that can take more abuse.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nice video.... that's not too far from me. I didn't know the lockers were engineered in Marshall. The plant is gone, but the proving grounds is still there. The lockers were coming out of Mexico, when I was handling them (2004-ish).