keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98-k1500-z71

Reaction score
hey guys, truck is a 98 k1500 with power locks and i got my remote start in it works great. next step is to try and figure out the keyless entry. i vaguely remember hearing that something needs to be done with relays in order to get the keyless entry to work properly. if anyone has some light to shed on this i would greatly appreciate it as google has been pretty dry. thanks

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't suppose it's just a matter of programming the computer? Jumping contracts 8 and 4 will put the truck into a reprogramming mode at which time you would press and hold the lock and unlock keys on the fob for about 15 seconds then the locks should cycle indicating that the reprogram worked. Keep in mind that you'll have to do all of your key fobs at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't suppose it's just a matter of programming the computer? Jumping contracts 8 and 4 will put the truck into a reprogramming mode at which time you would press and hold the lock and unlock keys on the fob for about 15 seconds then the locks should cycle indicating that the reprogram worked. Keep in mind that you'll have to do all of your key fobs at the same time.

Maybe that would work if he was using the factory keyless entry. You’re going to need 2 12v 30/40a relays with power and ground ran to the coil side (85 & 86) on each relay. Your lock and unlock wires from your remote start should go to terminal 30, one wire to each relay. And your last connection should go from terminal 87 to the lock relay located under the driver side dash by the gas pedal. Can’t remember off top of my head which wires are the ones you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe that would work if he was using the factory keyless entry. You’re going to need 2 12v 30/40a relays with power and ground ran to the coil side (85 & 86) on each relay. Your lock and unlock wires from your remote start should go to terminal 30, one wire to each relay. And your last connection should go from terminal 87 to the lock relay located under the driver side dash by the gas pedal. Can’t remember off top of my head which wires are the ones you need.

My bad, I guess I figured if the module contained the keyless entry feature it would simply include instructions. I'll keep this stored away as I'll probably be installing an alarm as well. Thanks for correcting me.

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad, I guess I figured if the module contained the keyless entry feature it would simply include instructions. I'll keep this stored away as I'll probably be installing an alarm as well. Thanks for correcting me.

No problem!

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a alarm/Keyless entry system on my k1500 suburban. You can find the wires to tap into for lock/unlock behind the kick panel next to the door on the drivers side.

I believe the links on the 12v page Linked to above can tell you which colours might be the right one - but its probably smart to probe and test before you cut to splice into them. ;)

As Bear77 writes, you should have relays on the two outputs so the power draw from the door locks cant fry the entire alarm box!

I made a little relay board for the alarm box and outputs and zip-tyed it under the dash. You can see some pics in my build thread. :)

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good stuff here. I have the GM kit installed on my 98 c1500 ext cab, and it has stopped working. The fobs are working, but I'm not sure what was done on relays. It worked great for many years.

98-k1500-z71

Reaction score

awesome information thank you so much! so a constant 12v to 85 pin on each relay, ground to 86 on each, the two wires from the remote start box for keyless entry one goes to 30 on each relay, and then 87 goes to the lock relay and do they get spliced together and then tapped into the relay or what is the easiest way? or does only one 30 pin from the relay need to be tapped into the lock relay?