Keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbIII

Reaction score
I have a 98 k2500. I recently found my old key fob. I changed the battery and tried to program it. When I do it will cycle lock and unlock and the fob will sync, but once I remove the paper clip the fob stops working. Put the paper clip back in and it will sync again and cycle but still won't work afterwards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
When you say sync, you mean it cycles with the clip in, then you press the unlock and lock buttons on the remote and the locks cycle again? If they're not cycling at that point, the remote isn't being programmed. Otherwise it really should be working.

tbIII

Reaction score
Yes, they cycle when the clip is plugged in. Then when the fob is programmed but afterwards nothing.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have tried just starting over following the " Resynchronizing, then Reprogramming your remotes." I would try this just like you purchased a new remote.
You must be registered for see images attach

vashpld

Reaction score
Did OP resolve the issue or has anyone had this issue and found a solution. My truck came without a key fob and upon purchasing one I followed the programming instructions. The fob only worked when I was about 5 feet away from the vehicle so I replaced the battery hoping that was the issue. After the battery was replaced the fob did not unlock the doors at all. I've tried to resynch multiple times now following the manuals instructions above and after the locks cycle the fob still does not work. I've disconnected the battery and pressed the fob buttons 256 times to retry to process and no luck. I'm to the point where I'm going to start diagnosing the receiver but that sucker a pain to get to.

Edit. 1998 2dr Tahoe 5.7 4L69-E 4x4.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with year, make, model, eng and transmission if applicable. Twenty feet away they all look the same. Open the doors and hood there all different. You get the best and most correct answers. :waytogo: