Keyless Entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just discovered my truck should have keyless entry. I do not have a remote. No big deal. I've read how to program them and they aren't expensive.

My question is the RPO code talks shows "trunk release" as well. My truck being a 99 K2500 Suburban with barn doors, I would assume there isn't a remote open option for this correct?

I am assuming the answer is no, which is fine, just want to make sure I order the correct remote. I would assume lock/unlock only. Did these come with a "panic" button as well?

Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The "Trunk Release" RPO description you're seeing may be something to do with the barn doors. The '96+ barn door 400 SUVs had a button on the remotes labeled "REAR 2X" which locks/unlocks the rear barn doors only. For example, here's one of the factory remotes from my '97 Suburban.

I believe the other one did have a red "PANIC" button as well, but I'm not sure where it went to unfortunately.

You must be registered for see images attach

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "Trunk Release" RPO description you're seeing may be something to do with the barn doors. The '96+ barn door 400 SUVs had a button on the remotes labeled "REAR 2X" which locks/unlocks the rear barn doors only. For example, here's one of the factory remotes from my '97 Suburban.

I believe the other one did have a red "PANIC" button as well, but I'm not sure where it went to unfortunately.
Thanks for the info. I will get one like that, and will try for a panic button as well. I was not expecting the "rear x2" button to be relevant at all, but if it's an actual function then I will be happy to have it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On barn door Suburbans I've owned that had factory keyless entry.. let's see, I had one? A 1997 model. The regular door unlock button also unlocks the barn doors.

Richard

Yup, the standard lock/unlock buttons also operate the barn doors. Not sure why they actually included the separate barn door button, but it's there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I've got the 99 Tahoe non barn door option and the 2x button pops the window on the back open.
Yep, figured it would be for the glass/tailgate trucks, though it seems df2x4 has that same remote on his barn door truck. I had black remotes for mine with just the lock, unlock, and panic button.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If there's a separate button for unlocking the back doors or gate, and your Burb has the switch on the right side pillar for the lock/unlock, then you could theoretically open the back for groceries or whatever, and then use that rocker switch for unlocking the other 4 doors. Sometime I will have to try this on my Burb, see what happens.....

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a 2 pack from ebay(with good reviews) has the "rear x2" and "panic" buttons.

I should probably replace my lock actuators as well, as only 1/2 of the work usually when I press the button. Drivers door being one that doesn't work.