Keyless Entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So I got the remotes in. Got them programmed. Lock/Unlock work as advertised. "Rear x2" does unlock just the barn doors.

"Panic" doesn't do anything though.
The remotes that we've had, that had a panic button, what it usually does is honk the horn repeatedly until you press it again. One time when we were in Mom's Pacifica at a nice restaurant, Dad accidentally pressed it. That car had very loud horns, and that was an uncomfortable interval while we got the key and figured out how to make it stop. And there were several HPD officers there too (which didn't help with the whole vibe!). Those remotes are fun anyway because they are made into the top of the key. The car will freak out if you unlock it with the key instead of using the button, and it WILL NOT START with any keys other than the ones the dealer cuts and programs. At $300 each. I talked to a buddy of mine who's been a professional locksmith for many years, and he said he had been to the Mopar school; those cars are virtually impossible for an independent to access the computer that runs those systems. This is the 2004 station wagon/crossover Pacifica, from when Chrysler was hooked up with Mercedes. Great cars, but so much of them is unique to those cars.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The remotes that we've had, that had a panic button, what it usually does is honk the horn repeatedly until you press it again. One time when we were in Mom's Pacifica at a nice restaurant, Dad accidentally pressed it. That car had very loud horns, and that was an uncomfortable interval while we got the key and figured out how to make it stop. And there were several HPD officers there too (which didn't help with the whole vibe!). Those remotes are fun anyway because they are made into the top of the key. The car will freak out if you unlock it with the key instead of using the button, and it WILL NOT START with any keys other than the ones the dealer cuts and programs. At $300 each. I talked to a buddy of mine who's been a professional locksmith for many years, and he said he had been to the Mopar school; those cars are virtually impossible for an independent to access the computer that runs those systems. This is the 2004 station wagon/crossover Pacifica, from when Chrysler was hooked up with Mercedes. Great cars, but so much of them is unique to those cars.
The Mopar key thing can be a pain if you only have one good key that is programmed to the vehicle. If you have TWO keys, you can buy new blanks anywhere and have them cut (absolutely suggest a pro locksmith vs. anywhere with someone just running a key machine) and then program the new keys to the car yourself, easily, for free. Steps to do so are in the owner's manual, but oversimplified - it's a process of inserting the two valid keys in order then introducing your new key to program it in.

If it's been a while since you talked with your locksmith pal, things may have changed. I've programmed keys to a 2006 Chrysler 300 using a program called Appcar DiagFCA which does come at a cost, of course ($49 for a 1-vin license) and you'll need a compatible ODB2 cable or bluetooth adapter. Anyway I had a lost key situation with that car (owner had wrecked it and I got it out of the storage lot with no keys) - from attempts to start with a non-Sentry key that was just a cut blank, it had gone into security lockout where NO key will start it. The "solution" is tow it to a dealer and pay them to clear the lockout. Nope. I used Appcar DiagFCA to clear the lockout, delete all the stored keys, and program new keys from scratch, so I could get the car starting again. I got the program for other diagnostics and bought a 2-vin license, but the key programming and ability to clear the security lockout was more than worth the price all-in.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years since we really discussed that car much. He lives in Huntsville so I don't see him except at some swap meets. And we haven't even moved the car in several years, it's in my building. We should sell it, but Mom really loves that car....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the owners manual, it's very detailed about keyless entry use and what it does. Also if you had the alarm function you would have had an RPO listed.
If your new , get an owners manual there are free downloads. Or you download the complete factory service manuals here in the forum. All the operation and testing what does what is there for the reading.
The multiple pushbutton activation is security and convenience operation. One press driver only. Another within 5 to 10 seconds all other doors.
Shopping, loading goods, rather than open all doors, open rear hatch, trunk or doors only.
There is a reason and purpose.