Is this the transmission speed sensor and is it easy to pull out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 1994 Chevy Cheyenne C/1500 with the 4.3L and need to know if this is the transmission speed sensor? Everything I read says it should be on the passenger side, but mine is on the driver's side. I thought I had a 4L60E but now I am not sure..

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just throwing my 2cents. No expert just take it with a grain of salt. I believe that is the speed sensor. Early 4l60 were slightly different then the 4l60e. Your being a 94 should be a 4l60 but the part that confuses me was did your truck come with cruise control? If it was then I could of sworn you had to add a speed sensor to the early 4l60 for that function. Cause I dont think it was controlled by the computer like obd2 and the 4l60e...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4l60 black pic / 4l60e silver pic

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I need to pull mine out and replace what I assume is the O-ring seal. It's leaking at a fairly good rate.

Ken

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just throwing my 2cents. No expert just take it with a grain of salt. I believe that is the speed sensor. Early 4l60 were slightly different then the 4l60e. Your being a 94 should be a 4l60 but the part that confuses me was did your truck come with cruise control? If it was then I could of sworn you had to add a speed sensor to the early 4l60 for that function. Cause I dont think it was controlled by the computer like obd2 and the 4l60e...
That is indeed the sensor, but the rest of the stuff you're a bit off with. No biggie.. 1994 is 4L60E (1993 was first year for it.) Cruise control or not, the setup on these is the same.

OP - as far as whether it's easy to pull out, kinda? Obviously you disconnect the harness and pull that one bolt and the hold-down clip, but then it's still fairly well retained in the tailshaft housing due to the O-ring seal. You'll probably have to give it a good wiggling but it should come out without too much of a fight.

Richard

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is indeed the sensor, but the rest of the stuff you're a bit off with. No biggie.. 1994 is 4L60E (1993 was first year for it.) Cruise control or not, the setup on these is the same.

OP - as far as whether it's easy to pull out, kinda? Obviously you disconnect the harness and pull that one bolt and the hold-down clip, but then it's still fairly well retained in the tailshaft housing due to the O-ring seal. You'll probably have to give it a good wiggling but it should come out without too much of a fight.

Richard

I didnt know that lol. I thought the earlier gens were just the 4l60 and whenever later gens came out they added the e

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Do you think I can pull that sensor out without the tool?