O2 sensor connector pigtail is gack’ed… pointers on replacing it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2000 k3500 l29 truck

Been chasing misfires and I might have found the culprit…

I went to replace the o2s and found this… Drivers side o2 sensor connector is pretty trashed. Cannot even get the new o2 connector to seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Problem is there’s no slack at all and the harness runs up between the trans and the firewall… anyone replaced one of these connectors, and have any pointers? I think I need to pull the distributor and see if I can pull it up out the top and get to it that way…. Unless anyone else out there has done this and has a better trick?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rockauto sells the pigtails. Solder a new one in. It will give you more length and clearance.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rockauto sells the pigtails. Solder a new one in. It will give you more length and clearance.
That’s what I’m saying I’m going to do, just how to actually access the wiring harness to do it is the question.
I’m going to stop by the treasure yard Saturday and grab a connector-

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's two ways to get the access you need; remove the wiring from whatever's clipping it to the vehicle until it dangles far enough away from stuff to work on, or remove parts until you can fit your tools where they need to go.

I'm a crimp and heatshrink kind of guy and have yet to have a connection I've redone fail. The secret is to use a nice quality crimping tool like a Klein Tools or whatever you like. Not the big 'ol crappy thing that comes in every bargain kit.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I can pull it up from the distributor area and get it from there…
I guess it must get hot back there right above the manifold and between the transmission, I can see some other loom also kind of melty back there.

I think I have some heat tape somewhere…

Yeah I have these nice crimp connectors that you heat shrink afterward, and a ratcheting crimper, definitely my preferred go to for any sort of automotive wiring repairs.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat tape? Not familiar with that.

I have--sometimes--used nothing more than wadded-up aluminum foil. Crinkle it good, sorta-kinda straighten it out, fold it over a few times to make multiple layers. Then wrap it around the loom. The crinkles hold air and separate the layers of aluminum, each trapped air pocket provides insulation.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 did thesame thing, melted the whole connector. I replaced the o2 sensor which gave me half of it. Junkyard supplied the other half of the connector. Once it was cut loose I had room to pull it up enough to splice the replacement on the harness. It was tight and not easy though.