Is this the transmission speed sensor and is it easy to pull out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Look at the rear trans mount. It may have seperated. A broken motor mount may also be an issue. Sounds can telegraph from one place to another. Just because the sounds seems come from a certain area does not necessarily mean that is where it originated.

Ken

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the rear trans mount. It may have seperated. A broken motor mount may also be an issue. Sounds can telegraph from one place to another. Just because the sounds seems come from a certain area does not necessarily mean that is where it originated.

Ken
I've got a brand new trans mount on the truck now. I have read about the slip yoke deal...Seems like I get maybe more of a vibration than a clunk as the truck did it a couple of times yesterday. When I come to a stop i can hear and feel some vibration which feels like its where the transmission meets the engine. Is that where the slip yoke is? Don't mean to sound ignorant, this is just my first old truck and I am trying to do some of this work myself when I can. I figured it wasn't the speed sensor, but it's cheap to replace and then I can rule that out. It's probably just time to take it somewhere and see if someone can figure it out. Thanks for all your help guys. Everyone has been helpful.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The slip yoke clunk is on a 2-piece driveshaft at the center support bearing (a.k.a. carrier bearing) - not all trucks have a 2-piece shaft; yours may be 1-piece, just crawl under and take a look.

Technically, the front yoke on the driveshaft where it goes into the transmission is a "slip yoke" but it's not the slip yoke people are referring to when they're discussing the slip yoke clunk.

Richard

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slip yoke clunk is on a 2-piece driveshaft at the center support bearing (a.k.a. carrier bearing) - not all trucks have a 2-piece shaft; yours may be 1-piece, just crawl under and take a look.

Technically, the front yoke on the driveshaft where it goes into the transmission is a "slip yoke" but it's not the slip yoke people are referring to when they're discussing the slip yoke clunk.

Richard
The noise I referred to is not the OP problem as he clarified it to be a vibration. However, a clunk or squawk noise is common to one piece driveshafts in 2x4 and 4x4 models. As I recall, GM came out with a specific replacement yoke to deal with the ones that their grease would not remedy. I don’t recall dealing with one in a 2 piece shaft so I can’t speak to whether they are the same noise or not.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The noise I referred to is not the OP problem as he clarified it to be a vibration. However, a clunk or squawk noise is common to one piece driveshafts in 2x4 and 4x4 models. As I recall, GM came out with a specific replacement yoke to deal with the ones that their grease would not remedy. I don’t recall dealing with one in a 2 piece shaft so I can’t speak to whether they are the same noise or not.
Interesting; never heard of it or dealt with it but good to know.

Richard

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have heard of the slip yoke issue and do wonder if that is what mine is doing. I have a 2WD one-piece driveshaft.