is ACDelco 10-4051 gear oil discontinued?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cant find it anywhere...what's the best alternative for '96 G80?....confusing

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like it is discontinued... That sucks. :(

The specification is GL5 80W90 with no friction modifiers or additives, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any others that meet those specs off the top of my head. I'll look around...

Maybe this JEGS 28054? Looks like there's no limited slip additive in it, the only additive I see mentioned is an anti foaming agent.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/28054/10002/-1

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about this one! worked great for me, on my 1996 C2500 G80 Differential:
Enjoy fast, FREE delivery, exclusive deals and award-winning movies & TV shows with Prime
Try Prime and start saving today with Fast, FREE Delivery

One-time purchase:
$8.49 ($0.27 / Fl Oz)​

Get Fast, Free Shippingwith Amazon PrimeFREE Returns
FREE delivery Friday, July 14 on orders shipped by Amazon over $25
Or fastest delivery Tomorrow, July 9. Order within 35 mins

Select delivery location

In Stock

Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Qty:1
Buy Now
Payment
Secure transaction
Ships from
Amazon.com
Sold by
Amazon.com
Returns
Eligible for Return, Refund or Replacement within 30 days of receipt

Details
Payment
Secure transaction
We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Learn more

Ships from
Amazon.com

Sold by
Amazon.com

Returns
Eligible for Return, Refund or Replacement within 30 days of receipt
This item can be returned in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt.
Read full return policy

Subscribe & Save:
$8.49 ($0.27 / Fl Oz)
First delivery on Jul 14
Ships from: Amazon.com
Sold by: Amazon.com​

Add to List
Add an Accessory:
Valvoline FlexFill Full Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil 1 QT PouchValvoline FlexFill Full Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil 1 QT Pouch
$15.48
Add to Cart
Valvoline SynPower SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 1 QTValvoline SynPower SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 1 QT
$19.65
Add to Cart

New (19) from
$8.49 FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon.

Have one to sell?
Sell on Amazon
  • You must be registered for see images attach

Valvoline High Performance SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil 1 QT

Visit the Valvoline Store
4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 5,055 ratings
| 135 answered questions
List Price:$10.99 Details
Price:$8.49 ($0.27 / Fl Oz) Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon PrimeFREE Returns
You Save: $2.50 (23%)
Get $100 off instantly: Pay $0.00 $8.49 upon approval for the Amazon Store Card. No annual fee.
Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping.
Style: Conventional
Size: 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
  • 1 GA

• 1 QT

• 1 QT, Case of 12

• 5 GA Pail

• 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)

• Configuration: 80W-90
  • 80W-90

• 75W-90

• 85W-140

BrandValvoline
Package InformationBottle
Liquid Volume1 Quarts
Item Weight0.01 Ounces
Viscosity80W-90

About this item​

• Protects Against Severe Temperatures To Help Extend Service Life
  • Formulated With Extreme-Pressure Additives To Minimize Gear Wear From Shock Loads
  • Helps Protect Against Gear Wear From Scuffing, Scouring, Corrosion And Pitting
  • Recommended For Conventional Hypoid Differentials And Non-Synchronized Manual Transmissions In Passenger Cars, Light Trucks, Sport Utility Vehicles, Vans And Heavy-Duty Trucks Where An Api-Gl5 Or Gl-4 Fluid Is Specified

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The specification is GL5 80W90 with no friction modifiers
That's actually kinda debateable. The GM bulletin was written by a high-schooler, it's vague and ambiguous. And--especially helpful--the recommended part number has been superseded at least once and maybe more, so that no one seems to know what the CURRENTLY recommended fluid is.

They tell you not to add "friction modifiers" but they do not specify whether the recommended gear lube has it blended-in by the manufacturer. Some sources claim that "of course it has some amount of friction modifier already blended-in, but don't add more."

OTOH, my 9.5" G80 quit working shortly after I changed the fluid to one with friction modifier blended-in already. I'm starting to think that the real problem is that it's worn-out, the fluid change and subsequent failure to work wasn't really the fault of the fluid, it's the fault of clutches that aren't as thick as they should be.

OTOH, the G80 is sorta working now, after two changes of fluid using the stuff below:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OTOH, my 9.5" G80 quit working shortly after I changed the fluid to one with friction modifier blended-in already.

I had the same issue with an 8.5" G80, and swapping the fluid to the ACDelco 10-4051 (no limited slip additive) brought it back first try. That's good enough for me.

EDIT - Regarding the superseded part numbers... It's been a long time since I looked into it but IIRC the original recommended oil from the TSB had no limited slip additive either.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Directly from the TSB:

"Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop. This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant. To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5 (P/N 10950849).

The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life."

Even if you think the additive part is debatable (IMO it seems pretty clear that they recommend against it) they definitely specifically call for GL5 80W90.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define "ADDITIVE". (Is it an "additive" if the consumer is not the one who "adds" it to the gear lube? Or, in other words, is it an "additive" even if it's blended-in by the producer of the gear lube?)

Do they mean that there's ZERO friction modifier in the fluid as delivered to the consumer, or do they mean "don't put a bottle of friction-modifier additive in with the recommended fluid".

APPARENTLY, they mean "don't put a bottle of friction modifier additive into the fluid", because the supposed "expert" has claimed that there's some minimal amount of friction modifier blended-into the fluid already.

As I said...the bulletin is not real helpful because it's ambiguous and the part numbers are outdated.

"I" am using GL5 80W-90 fluid with zero friction modifier blended-in. But I'm not sure that's correct, it's just what works best for my worn-out G80.

The replacement clutch set for a G80 is about half the cost of an aftermarket TrueTrac differential. I have a hard time justifying replacing my clutches when I could get the entire friggin' differential new for about double.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"I" am using GL5 80W-90 fluid with zero friction modifier blended-in. But I'm not sure that's correct, it's just what works best for my worn-out G80.

I am as well, and I'm fairly certain my G80s aren't worn out as they're both working as expected. That combined with reports from others here who have had similar experiences leads me to believe that this is the correct choice. GL5 80W90 with no additives or friction modifiers works, and stuff with them did not for me.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I’ll give the Valvoline a shot in my 14 bolt. I was looking for the AC Delco fluid a while back and everywhere said it was out of stock. Somewhere some dealership has a case of this laying around!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 10-4051 specifically says it's not for use in trucks--cars only. Go figure.

www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4051-GL-5-80W-90-Axle/dp/B007Q10F3S
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

MAYBE you want to look at 10-4016 "Grape Juice".
www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4016-75W-90-Synthetic-Axle/dp/B000QGOX1A/ref=sr_1_10?crid=39V4J1J22VMOT
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm thinking that the current version of the locking-differential gear lube is grape-scented. I may be wrong. Downsides to this stuff are that it's unreasonably expensive, and if your axle uses OEM RTV Silicone sealer, synthetic gear lube can cause deterioration of the Silicone. Aftermarket RTV Silicone may/may not be affected; and Permatex makes "special" RTV Silicone for use with gear lube.

Last edited: