Inspection nightmare, frame rot help appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The back one is bolted in. The main big one is riveted in. You could replace it with steel square tube
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to try to find another one somewhere. The inspection people are nice but are not lenient. They treat all customers as undercover inspectors or something. I also have no fabrication skills so it would be difficult for me to design or request a replacement

I'll sell you one out of a rcsb if you want to pay shipping from mississippi and you want to tackle this project. I have a junk one. No rust down here.

I will absolutely take you up on that. You have removed it so I will be bugging you for tips :) I'm in Canada so shipping might be a little high. How much do you think to Timmins Ontario?

IMO the spare tire carrier doesn't appear to be a critical piece to the structural integrity of the frame. How could they fail you on that?

I have no idea what #1 is for other than a little bit of flex reduction. The spare tire hangs off of the big one (#5) and the spare tire pulley goes through #2, I believe #1 is structural and not for the spare. I was mistaken in my prior post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so #1 and #2 are for teetering. I guess the inspectors thought it was a small crossmember and failed me. Bolted in either end isn't a big deal then, I'll find replacements

For the big crossmember, are u certain the box needs to be removed? That doesn't make me feel good In my stomach :( I will unbolt and drill the rivets out

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on what I am seeing on the parts diagram websites, all 4x4 rear cross members are the same. 2x4 won't fit. I'm trying to dig deeper with regards to removal and installation

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
#1 keeps the front of the spare tire from tipping upward and contacting the bed of the truck.
Checking on a estimated shipping quote right now.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not seeing any variation on the rear crossmember between light duty and heavy duty trucks.

I have a 6bolt wheel, light 2500 diesel

98_k1500

Reaction score
They are the same 1500/2500 and long/short bed. Only difference is where they are riveted in the frame.

98_k1500

Reaction score
And yes, the bed has to come off to replace #5. You may be better off replacing the bolt in ones and trying to pass like that.