Inspection nightmare, frame rot help appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Nice! now install the new one... I would have taken the box off and painted the frame to prevent it from happening again ... worrys me though, if that part of the frame was that bad... hows the rest?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Looking good man, The frustration level should decrease drastically when you start putting it back together. You should be able to knock it out tomorrow.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! now install the new one... I would have taken the box off and painted the frame to prevent it from happening again ... worrys me though, if that part of the frame was that bad... hows the rest?

You know, I wanted to take off the box but I'm just 1 guy without a cherry picker :(

I will be able to get a good portion of the frame tho. The weird thing is that the crossmember was the only really bad part. The frame and box are in really good shape. I know, strange

Looking good man, The frustration level should decrease drastically when you start putting it back together. You should be able to knock it out tomorrow.

I hope so, now for the easy part lol. The last two days have been super frustrating. I actually hit myself in the face with a breaker bar as I snapped a hitch bolt :/ can't wait to finish this all!

Oh, before I forget, does anyone have a picture or a diagram of the wiring In the rear end. I want to revert back to stock, the previous owners did some messed up stuff....... I just want to clean it up a bit. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished the job, below are some pictures. Will post a detailed reply tomorrow, for now I want to share and go to bed. It was about 20 hrs of lying down on the concrete so I'm done for a bit

Last pic is what my lovely girlfriend prepared me after a hard weekends work of not talking or hanging out with her

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah so there's a pic with a wiring harness in it. That's all the crap I ripped out. Someone had no idea how to wire in a 5th wheel and trailer hookup, it was a mess under there. I'm glad I ripped it all out

To get the cross member in, I didn't have a jackall to split the frame. What I ended up doing was using a tie down strap, wrapping it around, and hooking the other piece to my staircase lol to pull it open a bit. I also removed the two wheel bars and put the cross member in by itself, at an angle, and hammered it straight

Had a bit of a nightmare lining up the crosssmember holes surprisingly, the frame and xmember both flex, so I was getting a little frustrated

All in all, I think I was pretty well prepared, a big job for just one guy, lots of grinding and lots of hammering, I ended up getting ALL new bolts, for everything, I didn't even bother salvaging anything. I punched myself in the face with a breaker bar from snapping a bolt, so for those of you reading, away from the face!! And use new hardware. The Job would have been easier with the box off, but since I'm not Vishnu the Indian god, I only have two hands and was unable to take it off, so rocking it back and forth onto 2x6s was the only option.

I did have a brain fart when I rewired everything though, I plugged it all in and put my tail lights back in, but nothing worked! No turn signals, no brake lights, nothing....... I was panicking, double checking. Triple checking, wondering why nothing was working........ Took the tail lights off, forgot to plug not one, but both of the pigtails into my tail lights haha :p

Any questions please ask! For the unlikely event that someone does this in the future, I want as many questions answered as possible. Thanks again guys! Lots of ya gave me pointers and who knows how it would have turned out without you.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Glad to hear its installed! Hopefully they pass the mechanical no problem now!! So do you have pics of the whole truck?