How to tell difference between bad wheel hub and bad CV axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well on my 98 I've heard a sound that sounds like loud tires at high speeds, and I've been putting it off to look into later as I do other things. Today my roommate rode with me to run some errands, and he noted how he could feel it on his side. I got him to drive back home and I can definitely feel it on the passenger side. I was thinking rear end or transfer case previously, but since I can only feel it on one side I'm thinking its something on the front passenger side. I will have the wheels off this week to replace my shocks, how can I test to see if its the hub assembly or the CV axle making the noise? I'll get this thing buttoned up good someday soon!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well I can only hear it at high speed, it appears about 15-20 mph and gets louder as I go faster. It isn't louder than the tires, which are quiet tires, but it is noticeable. I have noticed a pop a few times while turning at low speed, which tells me CV (I don't feel it I just hear it).

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you jacked up your frontend up and checked for bearing freeplay? Yes cv axles do get noisy, if you dont know how to tear them apart to inspect them I would just replace the passenger side, once you are sure your bearing isnt bad

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I am going to tomorrow I think if I can get time to do my shocks. I can get a CV axle from Advance for like $45 after a coupon code, but a new Timken bearing will be $115 minimum so hopefully its the CV.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I am going to tomorrow I think if I can get time to do my shocks. I can get a CV axle from Advance for like $45 after a coupon code, but a new Timken bearing will be $115 minimum so hopefully its the CV.

timkin bearing is $77 at rock auto and there is a $5 off code on this site

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You can tell if the wheel bearing is bad by the amount of play in it.