cv axles and wheel hub bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock 93 rcsb stepside k1500 4.3 tbi 226k
I am planning to replace my wheel hub bearing and cv axles next weekend and was looking for any tips/suggestions or any special tools that make the job easier. Is it best to replace both sides at the same time? It appears the cv axles are original and the passenger side is making a light grinding type noise at the inner flange when the wheel spins fwd/back in 2wd. The drivers side makes no noise. Both sides inner boots look good. The outer boot on the passenger side is torn all the way around on the small side near the clamp. The haynes manual I have shows cv axle remove/replace but nothing really regarding the wheel hub bearings. Will get on the net and look for some videos this week. Thanks in advance for any responses

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Replace what is bad and leave the OEM alone if they are not bad yet.

You'll need a large socket for the CV (I think its 36mm??) other than that, standard hand tools should do the job. You may need a propane torch to help get the old hub out.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd leave the good CV axle as the originals are much better than the cheap Chinese replacements that are the common replacement.

You didn't' mention anything about the condition of the hubs... are they loose? I'd probably leave them if they're not worn. Given that your six lug truck doesn't have the rotors "pinned" on the backside of the hubs with the lug studs it makes it easier to work on later if you've got to go back in to replace something later....although, there is a post saying that Timken hubs are on clearance on Rockauto right now.

If you do need to pull the hubs, I'd look carefully at the bolts and replace them if they're chewed up at all on the heads (or threads). They're available from Dorman, and possibly the dealer.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Replace what is bad and leave the OEM alone if they are not bad yet.

You'll need a large socket for the CV (I think its 36mm??) other than that, standard hand tools should do the job. You may need a propane torch to help get the old hub out.

I bought both a 35mm and a 36mm, and the 35 fit better, so I returned the 36. They were just parts store grade sockets (Autozone) so it's possible the sockets are just cheap quality and not precisely made. This was over 10 years ago, so I'm sure the supplier has changed a couple of times since then.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure all of it. But I’ve noticed these differences.

Attachments

• 96B13DA5-3247-4607-AE8B-947FC8163682.jpeg
    96B13DA5-3247-4607-AE8B-947FC8163682.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 12
  • B60A26AF-1BE5-4AAC-94AA-0D2A5465168C.jpeg
    B60A26AF-1BE5-4AAC-94AA-0D2A5465168C.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 12