How rare is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new guy here! I was just wondering if anybody has owned or seen an obs without heater vents in the dashboard. The ONLY info I can find on this is that it was availible in at least ‘88 as (I assume) a base model. Just wondering how many of these trucks actually made it out of the factory with this setup, as I can find basically zero info anywhere other than in my ‘88 brochure. It’s gotta be rare, or I’m missing something lol. The dashboard pieces are identical to ones with vents, except they are blocked off, with no air ducts behind them. Only heat in the truck is windshield defrost and floor vents. I consider myself rather clever when it comes to knowledge on my beloved GMT400s (best trucks ever made btw) but why have I never seen a single other truck without vents? Thanks!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it non A/C? a/c was an option in northern US and above back then and a non A/C truck probably not worth a fortune. Not sure you hit the jackpot .

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it’s non-AC. I know it’s worthless, (the poor girls hardly a parts truck anymore) but I’m just curious as to how many were made like that. Can’t be many, as the emptiness of the mighty internet itself would suggest.
There have always been stripped down work trucks /fleet vehicles. The W/T is one such later example. I'm not thinking rare,

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There will be an RPO code associated with the HVAC option, or lack of. You can run your VIN through Compnine and it will tell you how many trucks were made with that option for that year. And yes, I'm sure it was very few.

EDIT - just cruising the master RPO list it looks like RPO EN2 is "HVAC system delete" but that may not necessarily be the RPO for the equipment your truck has. Is there absolutely NO heater at all - as in, not even heater hoses connected at the firewall? Any ventilation controls, manual levers on the trim panel under the steering column? These may only operate a floor-aimed vent, which is why your dash vent areas would be totally covered. I've seen the ones where the dash vents are about 90% covered but only have tiny open slots at the driver edge of dash and top of passenger side, presumably to help defrost the side windows with outside air from the cowl intake. In fact just spotted the post I'd seen them in: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/most-base-model-truck-youve-seen-1989-cheyenne-k2500-4x4.51334/ - that truck has heater and vent controls, though. Floor vent/heat and defrost.

Richard

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are still the small window defrost vents beside the instrument panel and above the vent on the passenger side but that’s it. The heater controls are the same as the one pictured in the other post. I suppose not quite as rare as I thought, but cool enough anyway. Thanks for the info!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More trucks came with AC. Consumers wanted a truck but with all the nicities of sedan. The market was demanding upscale basic trucks. So a truck built without AC was not the common build. More like a fleet build or govt contract.