Wonder how rare my truck is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at your picture, the emblem location is correct for the 99-00 trucks...but the emblem itself actually looks like the one that was used on the NBS trucks (99-up Silverados). The one for the carryover 400 pickups and the SUVs is more rectangular; the NBS one is more rounded. But some companies use the emblem on both series trucks.
And a lot of the aftermarket emblems melt when exposed to lots of sun; the one on my Burb has done that!
I thought suvs got rounded emblems while pick ups got square emblems and yes after market garbage. Imo buy the gm oem ones before there discontinued and save it for a rainy day. That's what I'm doing

Attachments

• 20231229_100153.jpg
    20231229_100153.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231229_100021.jpg
    20231229_100021.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 2

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I thought suvs got rounded emblems while pick ups got square emblems and yes after market garbage. Imo buy the gm oem ones before there discontinued and save it for a rainy day. That's what I'm doing
You could be right about that...but it could be as simple as what was close to hand, at the plant your truck was built in, on that day when it came down the line. GM did stuff like that a lot; guys on the GMSB square body trucks forum talk about this often.
Also, the rounded corners ones are jelly emblems(soft plastic with a foil backing that stick on) and the rectangular ones are hard plastic that are reverse painted on the back, and are glued on. Rawhide has(well, had, they fell off LoL) that kind, and Burb has one of the jelly ones, that couldn't handle the Texas sun and completely melted. I've seen several other 400 SUVs with those in similar condition. Also,the one on Burb is on the passenger side, and the other side looks like it never had one. That truck was in a minor wreck or two before we got it, so no telling how it originally looked. Eventually I'm going to scrape/peel it off....
And I have other plans for that area on Rawhide's cab.....
This is part of the appeal of the 400 design for me in the first place: that there's NOT 35 emblems all over it, to tell the world what you have. A reasonable sized Bowtie on the front, a discreet Silverado (or Cheyenne or Scottsdale) badge on each side of the cab, and the weight class on the front doors, and the Chevrolet lettering on the tailgate (if your truck has the stock 'gate that is!). And the SUVs just have the badge on the right side of the rear, that you have to look closely to even see the "Chevrolet".
My Dad always liked the conservative, debadged custom cars and trucks, where the "less is more" look was the ideal. So I guess that's why I grew up liking this look too...

There is a truck I see at the local Whataburger, that belongs to one of the workers, that I swear has to have at least 50 or so Chevy/Chevrolet/Bowtie emblems on it. It's a cateye NBS, I get that it's his truck and he's free to do as he pleases with it, but it just looks tacked on and tacky to my eyes.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
what is the date on your drivers door if it is the middle or later part of 98 it might be a 99 classic
Good point! That's definitely a possibility.
Like my 1990 square body Burb had the OBS style black ribbed side trim on it, with GMC 2500 badges on the doors, in the trim. And was an R2500 instead of a C2500.
Also I think the "Storm Gray" color was only offered in the '99 model year, though they may have had another gray metallic color with a different name in earlier years.
Amazing, the various interesting semi useless trivia,that floats around in our brains.....

BC99

Reaction score
Mine is a 1999 Chevy K2500 LS. I was under the belief that '99 was the first year of the LS instead of Cheyenne. That said, if there is one thing I've learned about these trucks in the 6 years of ownership is that GM was phasing this body style out by '98. A lot of parts etc. were being swapped around and used depending on parts availability and marketing toward the new body style. I thought '98 was the last year of the GMT body for the 1/2 tons and '99 for the heavier trucks. I know the LS trim level had nothing to do with the engines in the trucks. I thought the LS badges started in '99 but I recently bought an engine for mine from Alberta Canada as I am in BC Canada. My engine, a low mileage 5.7 Vortec direct replacement for mine, came from a 2000 Chevy C2500 GMT bodied truck. Yes they were still building GMTs into 2000 along side the newer bodied trucks. My truck has the LS emblem in the same location as the poster's truck although mine does not have the rear doors. It is original. Never hit or painted.

Attachments

• IMG_1609 2.JPG
    IMG_1609 2.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 6

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a 1999 Chevy K2500 LS. I was under the belief that '99 was the first year of the LS instead of Cheyenne. That said, if there is one thing I've learned about these trucks in the 6 years of ownership is that GM was phasing this body style out by '98. A lot of parts etc. were being swapped around and used depending on parts availability and marketing toward the new body style. I thought '98 was the last year of the GMT body for the 1/2 tons and '99 for the heavier trucks. I know the LS trim level had nothing to do with the engines in the trucks. I thought the LS badges started in '99 but I recently bought an engine for mine from Alberta Canada as I am in BC Canada. My engine, a low mileage 5.7 Vortec direct replacement for mine, came from a 2000 Chevy C2500 GMT bodied truck. Yes they were still building GMTs into 2000 along side the newer bodied trucks. My truck has the LS emblem in the same location as the poster's truck although mine does not have the rear doors. It is original. Never hit or painted.
Being a 3/4 and a 00 makes sense. Op was a c 1500 and a 98. They switch the 1/2 tons to the gmt800 platform. But since the location is the same , never know.