Franken-Tahoe? Found for sale in Brazil, not sure what it is... or was

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front brakes

The front brakes on the GM Brazil GMT400 Silverado and Tahoe evidently were a dual-piston (54mm) caliper system, which used a caliper bracket / caliper assembly.

Upon casual observation, they don't look like a bolt-on replacement for our calipers.

Their dual-54mm calipers would have the same piston area as our 76mm/3" JB6 caliper.

The front brakes are illustrated in the attached document, snipped from the GM Brazil GMT400 factory service manual.

The calipers can be found used and reman in Brazil, e.g., here:

FWIW, the GM FSM doesn't show specs about the brakes, e.g., rotor diameter, thickness, drum diameter, etc. What specs I've found came from third-parties.

Attachments

• Pages from Manual_Reparacoes_GM_Silverado_Vol_2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That my friend is an obs Chevy avalanchay' ext looks cool

Maybe a Bravalanche?

That article was really cool... The oddball 2000-2001 3500 GMT400 down there had some odd stat stats... That fuel economy converts to 26.6mpg!! out of a 1-ton HD truck. and only 150hp and 260ft/lbs

That's an interesting observation.

I haven't seen / heard much of anything about any GMT400 in Brazil other than the "Silverado" SCSB and "Grand Blazer" (their name for a Tahoe).

Maybe I just need to look harder. I've been focused on the headlights / taillights to date, not so much the GMT400 variants.

There are a number of GM Brazil GMT400 "stories" out there. Here's one about the Grand Blazer, and another about the Silverado and Grand Blazer, both translated to English.

@RichLo, the 3500 HD is mentioned: "... the brand also brought the GMC 3500 HD for about a year, which was nothing more than a version of the GMC Sierra".

Attachments

• GM Brazil Grand Blazer.pdf
    908.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Pages from GM Brazil Silverado - engine, consumption, years, versions, details.pdf
    736.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Silverado Conquest 4.2 MWM, Double Cabin, 6 Seats, Mechanics all revised, paint made in 2019, Tires in great condition.”

FYI, "In 1999 Silverado ... had a special version called Conquest" in Brazil.

Whether this MY1999 truck for sale was actually a "Conquest" Silverado, I don't know. Maybe they stuck the "Conquest" badges on the B-pillar to make it look cool.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve been there multiple times. You see all the same cars and trucks, but they are different in certain ways.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve been there multiple times. You see all the same cars and trucks, but they are different in certain ways.

If this for-sale listing showed the VIN I could decode it and see if it was originally a "truck" (which I think it was) or a "utility" Grand Blazer aka Tahoe.

VIN decoder attached.

FWIW, the GM Brazil FSM mentions Dana 46 and Dana 60 axles.

Attachments

• Pages from Manual_Reparacoes_GM_Silverado_Vol_2.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they gave me the VIN I could decode it and see if it was originally a "truck" (which I think it was) or a "utility" Grand Blazer aka Tahoe.

VIN decoder attached.

FWIW, the GM Brazil FSM mentions Dana 46 and Dana 60 axles.
I guess Carlos is gonna have to get busy with sending us up some Dana rear ends. ;)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here are a bunch of Silverados for sale in Brazil, many of them GMT400s:

Here's one story about the GMT400 pickup and utility models in South America, in Portuguese (use your favorite translator). The pictures are interesting...

Grand Blazer looks like a Tahoe to me....not a Burb. Bottom third of the rear side doors is different, with the cutout for the wheelwells, and a Burb has a lil more booty....

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
“Buy it now”, then drive it back to the US via the Pan American Highway
:badidea:

Seriously though, it would be neat to have a South American GMT400 in the States but emissions laws would likely become a sticking point.
Depends upon where you live.
Here in MA, once it's 20yrs old, it only has to pass safety.