How much rust if any.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickf

Reaction score
.... should be under the distributor cap and on the reluctor wheel? This is on a 1990 Sierra 1500 2WD.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having a 98 I'm no help but I'm gonna lean towards 0 corrosion. However I know it happens so I personally bought cap and rotor with brass contacts and vented cap. I don't have a reluctor wheel .

Rickf

Reaction score
It has the "accelerator pump" stumble and backfire down the exhaust issue. My friend's shop has a snap-on OBD1 scanner, it's going in next week.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure?
And not just at idle, but under load.
I chased a bunch of parts years ago. Finally but the bullet and dropped the tank to do a pump. It was the little hose that connects the pump. Was full of holes from the ethanol. Mines a 91. So maybe something to look at.

Rickf

Reaction score
The "accelerator pump" and backfiring issue solved. Might have been the ignition module or excessive rust under the cap or both. I over-torqued the #6 screw trying to remove the module (SNAP) and ended up replacing the distributor.