Help with Cam Selection For my 94 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same as me, 2000 or better. Stock BU82 I think? Small block 4L80 torque converter. Where it stalls depends on how much juice you make.

I have run two different ones, three if you count having a B82 restalled.. I have run the 4.3/Smallblock B82 4L80E converter and a much smaller 11" diameter Phoenix Trans (Weatherford,TX not the imposter in AZ) 2,600. I have also used the GM 4.3 S10 stalls in numerous 700r4/4L60Es. My old G-van, my Express van when it still had a 60E, my brothers Suburban and my Tahoe with a 305 all stalled more than 2,500 rpm with one. The 99 DCNF 4.3 converter stalled 2,800 behind the 350 in his suburban and about 2,600 behind the cammed 305 in my Tahoe.

This is the 2,600 I ran in my 4L85E in my Express that stalled 2,700. I ended up pulling it back out when I put the 5.13 geared 10.5" rear end in it. I had a GM B82 loosened up a little by a local converter builder. It stalls about 2,800 rpm and has a much higher STR than the small Phoenix converter.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how they ran behind a moded L31 and in a heavy van with only a 3.73 gear. 30.5" tall 20s on it at the time. Same exact engine, trans, gearing, tires, etc. Just the converter change and tuning changes. I had to add a ton of pump shot to the acceleration fuel with the small converter because the engine wanted to wrap up in RPM alot more quickly. However with the lack of STR the higher stall speed and higher engine speed are barely noticeable in acceleration. Moral of the story get the highest STR you can find for a given stall speed.

Stock GM B82
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phoenix 2,600
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this is as far as i got this weekend. Crank and Rear main are in and then got 2 pistons installed. Then ran out of time. and as far as those videos go yea i can definatly see the difference. Will it help to change my tc? Was thinking about changing it out while i was there, at least with a stock one. Not sure if a higher stall will gain me anything with my cam choice. im not trying to build a crazy mud truck. in fact i wish this truck was 2wd sometimes! would be having a little more fun with it.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I like the cam, I would have gone stiffer but I still have to pass emissions here in AZ. You'll be able to run with your stock chip but you'll probably run lean @ WOT and high rpms. I changed the governor weights in my 700r4 to shift @ 5k. I'm running an ACDelco ADO-EP381 155lph in tank fuel pump from a vortec engine with an 18LB spring in my modified 46mm TB (from https://www.ebay.com/str/sprperformance). That is giving me about 78LBS/HR on the stock 5235206 61LB/HR injectors. In my data logs I'm good so far...

what valve springs did you run with this cam? did you run the springs they said to run on the spec sheet? i have a set of z28 valve springs on the shelf i was going to use

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build's looking good!
IMO your Vortech springs should be adequate up to 5K. My old L05 swirl port heads weren't.
I stayed with the springs that came with the heads after asking Summit Racing if I could go over their .480" lift by .004" which my exhaust is with 1.6 Proform full roller rockers (.466 int/.484 exh). Since I'm not going much over 5K it's good. Remember, flat tappet cams don't like too much pressure - just creates more friction and wear (and needs more ZDDP).

See below the specs from their Q&A section, FYI - these heads are made by Trick Flow (owned by Summit Racing)

Summit Racing SUM-162108 has the following specs:
1.250" O.D. single spring with damper
110 lbs. @ 1.780" installed height
300 lbs. @ 1.280" open
360 lbs. per inch rate
.480" maximum lift

Flow @ 28" water
Lift - Intake - Exhaust
.100 - 70 - 50
.200 - 136 - 90
.300 - 183 - 124
.400 - 222 - 151
.500 - 242 - 175
.600 - 245 - 191

David Barry

Reaction score
Just wanted to caution you that L31MaxExpress has been caught spreading false information on other forums. I would take any advice he gives you with a grain of salt and double check with reputable sources.

That said, I can guarantee you that a custom tune with that Moates hardware/software would be miles ahead of any HyperTech or other drop-in performance chip. There will be a learning curve to it though.
Thanks for your advice, df2x4; and all the rest of you guys who have given me good advice!

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wanted to post a update. motor is assembled and almost ready to be dropped in. got a fresh coat of paint today.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

well for everyone who replied to the thread back in january the motor is in the truck and running. seems to drive pretty good, but i could definatly benefit from a computer tune. i also need a better air filter and i do have the right dipstick on order. aside from a small oil leak im happy with it. the cam and headers really woke it up. i also think a little more timing wouldnt hurt.