HELP need a bigger oil pan SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting I looked them up and there are small differences between the two gear sets.

Rich

You must be registered for see images attach

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeap more internet lore that the m22 is "stronger" than the m21. straight cut gears are weaker at the gear face because of less surface area. they are NOT an upgrade on your application.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, i have noticed a trend in most of your posts (of which ALL are fishing answers NEVER helping someone else out). anytime you hear something you don't want to hear or don't want to believe you go and search and search until you find the answer you want to hear. there have been A LOT of knowledgeable folks that have responded and gave you (IMO) accurate, non-BS information. Yet you choose to keep regurgitating the same stuff over and over for close to 20 years now. I think it's time to put your money where your mouth is and build this armchair researched MPG super van you keep pestering this board and many others about.

Last edited:

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am really trying to do that. The machine shop screwed up and cracked a rocker pedestal on one head installing a threaded rocker stud. And there were other problems in finishing this build I will spare you of.

Life keeps getting in my way, just before Covid on the way home from Scottsdale she lost an oil line and took out the engine...so I dug out this project and began finishing it.
I found a number of people that are NOT Hot Rodders but engine builders and learned a few finer points to my ideas and some confirming information to what I found bits and pieces of.

I am sorry to say but it seems that everyone here are Hot Rodders, their holy grail is RPMS and POWER: Horse power.

So far almost everything posted has been from a Hot Rodding point of view….

I have read how Rhoads Lifters did work great and product a nearly flat torque curve, which confirmed other reports of the same.

And hints of some using Highway Mode can save gas, but no one will share where, and how to turn this on.

I lost one year making an adaptor to mate a 4L80e with a NOS Dual Range Overdrive replacing my hunt for a way to hang an old Borg Warner overdrive either on back of a transmission or as a brownie amid ships with a input yoke and funny as hell found an answer to that idea as well with the 4l80e out of a motor home with a drum brake hung on its tail housing….

Mind you I am 75, retired and feeling my age, with a few health problems that comes with my age and on a limited income so it has been slow and go.

So far no one has been able to show me any reason my concept will not work, and many have said they believe it will.

IF the head is done soon I hope to at least drop her into the van before the summer heat here hits. And finish the rest come fall and begin breaking her in and fine tuning everything.

And pardon my insecurity, this IS a major project, I call it my moon shot and like those I cannot have any failure, engine swaps in and out of a van are NO fun…(done a few with much less complex systems (carb) and they were no fun in the 90s, less now in the 2020s)

So as I try to get all my pistons all in a row I keep working on the final details.

IF you look at the beginning I was just asking about a deeper oil pan…that was it.

Here is my original post:

Installing a SBC 383 in a 93 G20:

I need a larger pan, seems many are 4.5 QT models, then there are 5 Qts and 6 QTs models, I would like to run a 6 QT pan IF it will fit, so anyone done an engine swap and ran a large pan??

So here is the pan problem, I am running a BBC Oil pump for the greater oil flow and control which is needed when running a SBC at 1500RPMs.

BUT my stock oil pan is too small and hits the new pump. Missed it by this much ONE INCH.

Next will the stock dip stick still work??

I am told I need two things in the pan, first, baffles to hold the oil around the pickup, and a windage tray under the crank.

I am looking for answers and any donations or offers.

Rich

BUT even that was not answered as I asked, no!!

Everyone wanted to KNOW WHY I wanted to run a BBC oil pump and why I was talking about 1500RPMs, I believed I posted WHY and still was challenged over and over about it.

I really thought all of you would go..OK good idea, better flow and smoother oil pressure and so on….

But we were off to the races where I need to tell all and then back it up with all the data, (PS some which I have had for decades, and just pulled it up, not go searching for stuff that agrees with me, but things that I believe in)

And NOTE NO ONE answered: what pan and if it will fit a G20 van and if I will need a different dip stick...

5 pages and not one real answer.

Now you down on me for still talking about it…I did NOT come here to discuss my engine build….it is set in stone now, I have all the data and all the support I need.

Now I just need to make this pudding and taste it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And PS I do not really feel qualified to help anyone out....I will say this: no one here asks dumb questions...and none of them are about stock cars, trucks or Vans....Your performance people....I only do stock.

Hot Rodding is like gun fighting in the old west, there are either a faster gun or a back shooter...

AND in Hot Rodding it is also about Money, as in how fast do you want to go depends on how much you have to spend...

IF I want more power, like a 67 Mercury Cougar XR7 I had with a 289, well I swapped in a 352 Cleveland,BIG power boost...and much cheaper...

Other wise I just fixed up the interior and dressed it up a little and DROVE it all over the place.

Rich

Attachments

• Multicolor Cluster.jpg
    Multicolor Cluster.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Center Console.jpg
    Center Console.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CustomClusterlighting032RAC_zps2cdada93.jpg
    CustomClusterlighting032RAC_zps2cdada93.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
  • My Red and White Hawk.jpg
    My Red and White Hawk.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Scan-130804-0005.jpg
    Scan-130804-0005.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far almost everything posted has been from a Hot Rodding point of view….

IF you look at the beginning I was just asking about a deeper oil pan…that was it.

BUT even that was not answered as I asked, no!!

And NOTE NO ONE answered: what pan and if it will fit a G20 van and if I will need a different dip stick...

5 pages and not one real answer.

Is it the pump or the pickup tube hitting?
And you NEVER ANSWERED HIM.

Extremely unlikely that the pan is hitting the PUMP.

Melling M99HV-S is the big-block oil pump, a SBC oil pump drive rod, and their 305S pickup tube in a single kit, advertised for 302 SBC.

Fits the TBI and Vortec oil pans once the OEM windage tray has been modified.

Sounds to me like racprops needs a different oil pickup tube, (305S?) and the same pan he has now.

www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs
And RADIO SILENCE on this, too.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see what that mattered, I needed a deeper pan...I already knew that, I have one that would fit but lacked a baffle.

I am not buying any other parts, I bought a Stock Melling BBC stock pump...and pickup...so that was a suggestion I was not interested it and did not want a bunch of posts as to what pump I SHOULD BUY...

So if I could not say anything nice I said nothing...

Give me a break.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the Hod Rod thing once, and other than looking nice I could not tell if anything was better.

Attachments

• Scan-130804-0012.jpg
    Scan-130804-0012.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Scan-130804-0013.jpg
    Scan-130804-0013.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 4
  • Scan-130804-0016.jpg
    Scan-130804-0016.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Scan-130804-0019.jpg
    Scan-130804-0019.jpg