HELP need a bigger oil pan SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing a SBC 383 in a 93 G20:

I need a larger pan, seems many are 4.5 QT models, then there are 5 Qts and 6 QTs models, I would like to run a 6 QT pan IF it will fit, so anyone done an engine swap and ran a large pan??

So here is the pan problem, I am running a BBC Oil pump for the greater oil flow and control which is needed when running a SBC at 1500RPMs.

BUT my stock oil pan is too small and hits the new pump. Missed it by this much ONE INCH.

Next will the stock dip stick still work??

I am told I need two things in the pan, first, baffles to hold the oil around the pickup, and a windage tray under the crank.

I am looking for answers and any donations or offers.

Rich

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
So here is the pan problem, I am running a BBC Oil pump for the greater oil flow and control which is needed when running a SBC at 1500RPMs.

Care to explain why you nee a BBC oil pump to run a SBC at 1500 RPM?

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
The factory stock small-block Chevy pump is effective and reliable, but not perfect. It’s common practice to install a high-pressure, high-volume pump. In many cases this is simply not necessary and drains power that could be used to lower your ETs.

The stock oil pump is good to at least 400 hp, and RPM of 6,500 to 7,000. Unless your motor will exceed this, it can be used stock unless you want to improve overall performance and cut power consumption. For engines within these limits, the stock pump’s 45-psi oil pressure is all that’s required.

Increasing the oil pressure just to be on the safe side may not prove as safe as you think, since it’s possible to have too much oil pressure. Unnecessarily raising the oil pressure causes higher oil temperature and greater parasitic losses driving the pump. Look at it this way: the higher the oil pressure, the more backpressure there is to resist the turn on the pump. This means it takes more power to turn the pump. Not only is excess pressure an obstacle to power production, but also excess volume.

If the stock pump has adequate volume, installing a high-volume pump, which bypasses all the additional volume, serves only to reduce power output. Consider whether your application needs anything other than the stock pump. If it doesn’t, don’t spend your money on a higher-pressure higher-volume pump.

Although adequate for most applications, the stock pump can be improved. If you rework the oiling system, or just the main cap where the oil pump locates, the ease with which the oil discharges into the block will have been improved. This results in less pressure loss between pump and bearings.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem with the stock oil pump is it does not deliver adequate oil volume to generate adequate oil pressure on an engine that is being lugged to extremely low rpm. Think tall gearing or double overdrive with the resulting increases in bearing load. The bearing load at low RPM when the engine is being lugged will squeeze the oil film out of the bearing and allow the crankshaft and bearing to make metal on metal contact. He has insisted that he will be lugging this engine down to ~1,500 rpm at 80 mph which will provide very little gain if not a loss of fuel mileage. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have had small blocks in numerous truck applications and none of them are happy much under 2,000 rpm.

EVERY SBC I have built in the past 15 years has had a stock volume, high pressure big block pump in it. I use the included L88 427 Corvette Red oil pressure spring. The setup just works better than the OE pump, plain and simple. The oil pressure is more consistent with the big block pump, the pump turns more smoothly helping prevent wear on the oil pump gear and the pump itself does not even draw 1/2 hp more than the SBC pump. The pressure bypass design is also more effective in the big block pump helping prevent oil aeration.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running a BBC Oil pump for the greater oil flow and control which is needed when running a SBC at 1500RPMs.

BUT my stock oil pan is too small and hits the new pump.
Extremely unlikely that the pan is hitting the PUMP.
Is it the pump or the pickup tube hitting?
Melling M99HV-S is the big-block oil pump, a SBC oil pump drive rod, and their 305S pickup tube in a single kit, advertised for 302 SBC.

Fits the TBI and Vortec oil pans once the OEM windage tray has been modified.

Sounds to me like racprops needs a different oil pickup tube, (305S?) and the same pan he has now.

www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
The problem with the stock oil pump is it does not deliver adequate oil volume to generate adequate oil pressure on an engine that is being lugged to extremely low rpm. Think tall gearing or double overdrive with the resulting increases in bearing load. The bearing load at low RPM when the engine is being lugged will squeeze the oil film out of the bearing and allow the crankshaft and bearing to make metal on metal contact. He has insisted that he will be lugging this engine down to ~1,500 rpm at 80 mph which will provide very little gain if not a loss of fuel mileage. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have had small blocks in numerous truck applications and none of them are happy much under 2,000 rpm.

EVERY SBC I have built in the past 15 years has had a stock volume, high pressure big block pump in it. I use the included L88 427 Corvette Red oil pressure spring. The setup just works better than the OE pump, plain and simple. The oil pressure is more consistent with the big block pump, the pump turns more smoothly helping prevent wear on the oil pump gear and the pump itself does not even draw 1/2 hp more than the SBC pump. The pressure bypass design is also more effective in the big block pump helping prevent oil aeration.
OK, But, I do not see any mention of lugging an engine down under load in his opening post.