Heater help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuctTape4Ever

Reaction score
First, the good: The heater core in my 88 c1500, heats up and works fine. The Bad: It only blows cold air, and none of the blend door motors work, so I disconnected them. I figure that one of the outside air doors is in the open position. The Ugly: Apparently Red Green must have worked on my truck at one time or another, because my lower HVAC box is cracked, and duct taped back together. I was curious if someone knew how to rig the heater so it is on all the time (when running) and works (even just a little). I have froze my keester off for the last week in Minnesota, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like either your heater control fuse is blown or your heater control is dead if like you say the doors won't move either when told to by the heater control. No way to rig it that I'm aware of... and gotta love "redgreen show"... most younger people will never know the awesomeness of that show.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heater core would be on the bottom of the case, and I'm pretty sure the core can be accessed without pulling the dash...hence your duct tape, probably. I'm not sure if the air door would also be accessible from that location or not.

It will always have coolant going through it, so you'll just need to rotate the door to allow air flow over it. You could try pulling off the door actuator and manually turning the thing, but I'm not sure if that would work or not.

The easiest thing is probably just to replace the temperature door actuator (or the Hvac control panel if none of the actuators are responding to it). I'd junkyard the control panel.

Diagrams are for a 1998, I'd bet it's the same or similar for earlier years.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I had this problem two years ago. I just replaced all door actuators. They are all the same part number. The floor vent and defrost one is the easiest. The others you can access through you glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk