Reading O2 Heater circuit voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot a recurring O2 sensor heater circuit code, P0161. I just replaced the sensor, but the problem persists. I have the Dash Command app with the extra GM PIDs, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the bank 2 sensor 2. It has B1S1, B1S3??, B2S1, but no B2S2.

I also tried HP tuners, but I can't find any O2 heater circuits on there.

I guess my question is, should I just skip this step in the matrix? Or is there another way to read this O2 heater circuit voltage?

You must be registered for see images attach

Greetings rayhawk,

I took the P0161 code you mentioned and came up with the following wiring diagram out of the
'99 C/K FSM:

So it looks like you are going to want to focus on the PNK (Pink) heater positive wires
coming from the Underhood Fuse Block (ENG 1, Fuse #21) and the BLK (Black) ground wires
completing the circuit.

HINT: Take full advantage of the fact that you have one 'known-good' rear O2 sensor, so
you can use the wiring supporting the good sensor to compare/contrast against the wiring
associated with the sensor causing the P0161 to be thrown.

If it was me I would start with power off continuity checks from associated through the ECM
pins through the sensor to ground, first looking for a high resistance/open. And also look
for continuity to ground prior to the power arriving at the O2 sensor? (Assuming that
since the ENG 1 fuse isn't blowing that you don't have a gross error, but more of a marginal
path kind of issue?)

NOTE: The above is written from the default perspective that the heater circuit is directly
responsible for the P0161 code, but after reading page 2 of 2 we'll develop a theory
where the heaters are working fine, but the precious feedback signal path is letting us down?

So, if the heater wires match exactly between good and bad rear O2 sensors, then we need
to also verify the actual signal wires. (PPL {Purple} and TAN)

And one last thing that we need to sort out. P0161 is the code for Bank 2, Sensor 2.
But your App is making 'Bank 2, Sensor 2' look to match the other 2 'good' O2 sensors,
but meanwhile identifying 'Bank 1, Sensor 3' (?) as the one with the mismatching/too low reading?

I tend to believe the VCM over an app, especially when the app is concerned with a
phantom sensor? But what if the PO was having a bad day, and crosswired the rear
Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors? These days you have to keep in the back of your mind that
catalytic converter stealing is a thing, and although you didn't mention if these were old
or newer cats...but anything can happen, forcing wiring harness errors that we would
not normally see.

I think that a careful visual inspection of the wiring between sensors, ground, and VCM,
making sure that the physical wiring under your truck matches the wiring diagrams in the FSM,
followed with some continuity checks with your multimeter should locate the root cause
in fairly short order.

EDIT: Do you have access to a scan tool capable of showing you live data? As in seeing how the
various O2 sensors are toggling high & low? This may save you a lot of time if you have this
capability.

And for the 'seemingly unrelated codes'? Help me help you. Do yourself a favor, go to the Dollar
Tree store, spend $1.25 for a small notebook that fits in your glovebox, and whenever you get a
new code, write it down, with the date, and a short description of how you were driving. And post
it up here so that we can kick it around & try to match it up with our own experiences with these
GMT400s. (On older vehicles you would be surprised how many 'logically unrelated' error codes
end up related through a shared geographical wounding of the wiring harness, global power fault,
etc.)

The more specific data you share, the better quality my guesses/recommendations will be.
You can't share too much.

And please come back and let us know what you discover.

Happy Hunting --

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also, despite what the angry guy dribbled on about, a downstream O2 DOES serve a purpose if you still have a cat converter. If you have a cat, wouldnt you like to know if its starting to degrade in performance? That includes multiple modes of failure for a cat. A pre o2 only will never give you that benefit. Now, suggesting removing a cat is also illegal, so the law aspect isnt meant to scare you from doing it more so get you to think. If you can easily fix your rear O2 so that your light goes out, wouldnt you rather do that then tune your PCM to get rid of it?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I bought a bosch sensor, and the previous owner had already replaced it once, so I don't think it's the sensor. I believe it's in the wiring, but I was just trying to go through the diagnostic steps one by one, and got stuck at this step. I could disable the rear o2 reporting, but I would prefer to fix it since I have a few other seemingly unrelated codes pop up at times, and I did blow an engine fuse recently that was due to a shorted wire. I wrapped up the damaged wire, but it's possible there is more damage than I could see since the wires are packed so tightly together over the engine. I believe I'll need to patch in a new segment of wire, just have to figure out a reasonably easy way to do it.
dont solder O2 wires if you have to replace a wire

rayhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, and thanks to Road Trip for taking the time to write all that out. I can read the O2 sensor data live, but the heater circuit is separate, so I'm not sure if it will help. I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to dig deeply into this again, since I unfortunately have to take the truck in to the body shop after somebody smashed my tailgate in the parking lot at work. But I will update with my findings.

Here is an earlier thread I made after blowing one of the eng fuses:

I'm going to start there again at the wiring harness on top of the engine when I'm able to go a bit deeper into examining the wiring harness. I'm guessing the wire I taped up blindly is either more damaged than I could see, or there is more than one damaged wire.