Reading O2 Heater circuit voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayhawk

Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot a recurring O2 sensor heater circuit code, P0161. I just replaced the sensor, but the problem persists. I have the Dash Command app with the extra GM PIDs, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the bank 2 sensor 2. It has B1S1, B1S3??, B2S1, but no B2S2.

I also tried HP tuners, but I can't find any O2 heater circuits on there.

I guess my question is, should I just skip this step in the matrix? Or is there another way to read this O2 heater circuit voltage?

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this on your VW, Mack, Dodge, Tatra, Austin, Rambler, Citroen, Datsun..... Year, make , model, eng....

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the up or downstream 02 sensor? If it’s the upstream then fix the problem but if it’s the downstream then simply delete the sensor from the computer as it does nothing useful.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please pardon my don't give a f attitude. This bull she I it about this is illegal and that's illegal I'm reading over several sights is really getting on my last G D never. I'm am fed up with the lies about all this global warming and how we are killing the plant blah blah blah. God D@#$ lies and some of us do remember 7th and 8th grade science. I would hope like hell we have ( or most of everyone) has enough sense to know that we can't trust a G D person that's supposedly in charge. They lie to get in office and lie worse when they get there. Sorry not the place just had enough.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is fine, and largely true.

It's still a fact that if someone advises you to break the law, and you get caught...you're still going to suffer the consequences.

Actually fixing the problem instead of merely disabling stuff is still a valid and legal response.

Here's a thought. Get the factory service manual set, find the schematic for the O2 heaters, and start tracing wiring. START with the fuse/fusible link/circuit breaker. USUALLY the problem is within the heater of the O2 sensor...but apparently not this time since the O2 sensor has been replaced. 'Course, the new sensor could be defective...

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have refered to the FSM at all, the procedures are easy to understand, your getting data but don't know how to interpret it. ( Like having answers, but don't know any questions) the diagnostic charts will guide you, with the data stream your one step ahead. Are you using a quality O2 sensor. There are lot of sensors built of questionable quality. A " Carquest " sourced O2 sensor would throw a code once a while. So I replaced it with an NTK sensor, the NGK spark plug Co., no problems anymore. They may be a little more $ but a good investment.

rayhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I bought a bosch sensor, and the previous owner had already replaced it once, so I don't think it's the sensor. I believe it's in the wiring, but I was just trying to go through the diagnostic steps one by one, and got stuck at this step. I could disable the rear o2 reporting, but I would prefer to fix it since I have a few other seemingly unrelated codes pop up at times, and I did blow an engine fuse recently that was due to a shorted wire. I wrapped up the damaged wire, but it's possible there is more damage than I could see since the wires are packed so tightly together over the engine. I believe I'll need to patch in a new segment of wire, just have to figure out a reasonably easy way to do it.