G80 9.5 rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IF you keep the ring 'n' pinion, merely transfer the ring from the open carrier to the "posi" carrier, all you have to do is get the backlash EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY, while getting the preload correct for the new bearings. At least, I assume you're installing new bearings. The 8.5 axle uses shims for backlash and preload, the 10.5 axle has screw adjustment (no parts to buy), and I can't remember what the 9.5 axle uses.

Once you dick with the pinion, you have to set more adjustments to get things right. More than twice the work.

To add to that, new bearings take more torque to break away than broken in bearings. Consult the Googles or an FSM for those specs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IF you keep the ring 'n' pinion, merely transfer the ring from the open carrier to the "posi" carrier, all you have to do is get the backlash EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY, while getting the preload correct for the new bearings. At least, I assume you're installing new bearings. The 8.5 axle uses shims for backlash and preload, the 10.5 axle has screw adjustment (no parts to buy), and I can't remember what the 9.5 axle uses.

Once you dick with the pinion, you have to set more adjustments to get things right. More than twice the work.

My 9.5 has the screw adjustment on the bearing caps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right so it would be better to get a unit with ring on it or maybe I’ll find a whole axle and make it a full floater and disc brake
It only works if you use the same ring gear that has been meshing with the pinion that you're leaving alone in the axle housing. You'd have to transfer from the "open" differential case to the locking diff case.

Even if the gear ratio is the same, the wear pattern won't be right. You're practically guaranteed noise and faster wear.

Upgrading the entire housing is a reasonable idea. I wouldn't pay extra for disc brakes. Rear discs don't trip my trigger.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only works if you use the same ring gear that has been meshing with the pinion that you're leaving alone in the axle housing. You'd have to transfer from the "open" differential case to the locking diff case.

Even if the gear ratio is the same, the wear pattern won't be right. You're practically guaranteed noise and faster wear.

Upgrading the entire housing is a reasonable idea. I wouldn't pay extra for disc brakes. Rear discs don't trip my trigger.
So I should find a locker or lsd with ring and pinion with it thanks for info ya rear brakes don’t do a lot anyway thanks again

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I kept my factory 3.73 gears when I switched to my Eaton LSD, Its as quiet as the G80 was.
You just have to pay attention to the backlash/preload of what you have now and set it back.