93 obs rear end gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93silverado

Reaction score
I have a question, how hard is it to swtich over a 4.10 gears from a 6 lug to a 5 lug rear end any help appreciated

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT AXLES? A "five lug" is going to be the craptastic 8.5" axle assembly. A "six lug" could be an 8.5 or a 9.5, and the gears will not "switch over".

IF these are both 8.5" axles, and IF they're both the same width, and IF the axle shafts have the same number of splines (they changed in '88 or '89) it'd be enormously easier to swap axle shafts and then axle assemblies, than to swap the ring 'n' pinion gears.

If you just have to swap ring 'n' pinion gears:
Wild Guess: "Good Luck". Turn down the hearing aids so you don't hear the howling.

NEW gears are hard enough for an amateur to set-up, ESPECIALLY the pinion depth. Used gears are even worse.

It would take me more than "a couple hours" to gather up my tools, lift the truck 'n' cram in jack-stands, drain the gear lube, and pull the C-clips.

IF you attempt this, be REALLY certain to measure the backlash of the gear set you're keeping BEFORE you remove it from the axle. And then, you need to measure the pinion depth, and make sure that it's the same when you put it into the other axle housing. Then make the backlash the same as it was, so the gears run in the same relative positions in the new housing as they did in the old housing.

This is not a task to be taken lightly.

Last edited:

93silverado

Reaction score
WHAT AXLES? A "five lug" is going to be the craptastic 8.5" axle assembly. A "six lug" could be an 8.5 or a 9.5, and the gears will not "switch over".

IF these are both 8.5" axles, and IF they're both the same width, and IF the axle shafts have the same number of splines (they changed in '88 or '89) it'd be enormously easier to swap axle shafts and then axle assemblies, than to swap the ring 'n' pinion gears.

If you just have to swap ring 'n' pinion gears:
Wild Guess: "Good Luck". Turn down the hearing aids so you don't hear the howling.

NEW gears are hard enough for an amateur to set-up, ESPECIALLY the pinion depth. Used gears are even worse.

It would take me more than "a couple hours" to gather up my tools, lift the truck 'n' cram in jack-stands, drain the gear lube, and pull the C-clips.

IF you attempt this, be REALLY certain to measure the backlash of the gear set you're keeping BEFORE you remove it from the axle. And then, you need to measure the pinion depth, and make sure that it's the same when you put it into the other axle housing. Then make the backlash the same as it was, so the gears run in the same relative positions in the new housing as they did in the old housing.

This is not a task to be taken lightly.
I see what you mean, both diff are from 1500 one is 4wd and other is 2wd but axels shaft not same size actually 4wd axels are shorter than 2wd but evething in the 4wd diff its new with lsd