Full Replacement Rear Bumper Pics Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
doesn't matter if you make them 2 inch thick, bolts and frame are the weak point. you need to just buy a proper hitch that distributes the load on the frame. look how the bumper bolts on vs. the hitch. doesn't matter how stout the bumper is, I wouldn't tow the same weight on it that I would with a hd hitch. the flat stock bumper brackets should have gussets and a brace 90* lengthwise to prevent bending side shift on impact or load, I added this support to my ranch hand mounts and may tie it into the hitch cross beam as well.

What if I just weld it straight to the frame?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would still gusset or angle brace it for side load strength, just make a triangle between the bumper and mount bracket at the frame.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you want a piece going from the back of the frame mount angled out a little towards the center of the bumper. > point at frame spread out towards bumper with 1 piece flat with frame and one on edge.

Steve83

Reaction score
Build the bumper mounts like receiver mounts - then you get all the strength you'll never need. And anything more than 2x the thickness of the frame is just dead weight. 1/4" is plenty if you put just a little thought into the shape. My custom rear bumper (on my Bronco) is basically 3 pieces of channel (short 8" pieces bolted to the frame, then a long 6" welded to them) with some 2" square tubes running under the frame bolted where I removed a Cl.3 receiver. It's probably strong enough for a forklift to stab into its built-in receiver & lift the truck (but I haven't tested that yet!).

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Build the bumper mounts like receiver mounts - then you get all the strength you'll never need. And anything more than 2x the thickness of the frame is just dead weight. 1/4" is plenty if you put just a little thought into the shape. My custom rear bumper (on my Bronco) is basically 3 pieces of channel (short 8" pieces bolted to the frame, then a long 6" welded to them) with some 2" square tubes running under the frame bolted where I removed a Cl.3 receiver. It's probably strong enough for a forklift to stab into its built-in receiver & lift the truck (but I haven't tested that yet!).

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for that idea! I actually have the bumper off right now because the truck is getting re painted so I will fab up some mounts just like that

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard that. In fact, Ford provides online instructions for how to weld to the frame. No way they'd do that if it was illegal.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/bodybuild.html
I'm not saying it's a good idea for a bumper, but frame welding is legal.

Depends on your state... Some states, the ones with more stringent requirements and inspections, do not allow frame welding of any kind unless it is a repair (like you have been in an accident). Other states only allow frame welding by a certified welder that has a structural certificate (it is called different things in different states) to do so. Check you local laws and regulations before you weld.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is it about a regular hitch that will not work that you have to try to reinvent the wheel per say...lol Hitches are not that expensive and if you frequent the junk yards there are sooo many 400's that come in still wearing there hitches... That is where I got mine for a whopping $15.00.... And I have towed my built jeep on a heavy trailer many a places and have had no issue with it.