Fuel Pump Sending Unit too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change the sending unit i have done 2 fuel pumps on a 93 k1500 and 94 k1500 both with over 200k miles and the lines on top the sending were very rusty and twisted when removing .Save yourself the grief and order the sending unit.I put denso part#951-5015 for a 1994 k2500 7.4 litre fuel pumps in both my 350 tbis and they work great they are a 30lb pump that are a plug and play and seem to give them a little more get up and go as for the sending units i bought cheap pump and sending unit assemblies off ebay and tossed the pumps and hose and hose clamps and replaced with the denso pumps hose and clamps.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The tank is hard to keep level. You might have an easier time on cement, but on dirt the gas runs down hill so the low side gets heavy really fast. Plus you're working under/up-side-down. The gas tank doesn't balance well side to side, or front to back. It's easier to work from the top. Bed bolts can be a pain, but if you're not all rusted up it should be fine.

I actually need to replace my tank, and when I do that, I'll do it all underneath, but I'll have a totally empty tank.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I will not question the wisdom of others, especially when they have real-world experience. I am not clear however why it is hard to drop the tank. It looks to me as if you disconnect the filler neck, tedious but not complicated, undo the straps, and lower the tank with support situated on a floor jack. Is it rusty bolts, complicated getting it back up, or some other thing I am completely underestimating?

I still have time to go another way so what is the hassle that I am not seeing. Again, remember, I am an office dweller who bought a truck and have big dreams. :)
Fast learner, stubborn, somewhat mechanically inclined, but no practical experience working on vehicles.

I should share that I have my truck on dollies so I can move it around and being up on the dollies puts it up in the air a bit so I can roll run under with a creeper. Also, it is in a garage with a concrete floor. If I were doing this on a dirt driveway I might and down on the ground I would be weighing my options.

Many times when the pump fails the tank has quite a bit of fuel in it and balancing a tank with fuel sloshing around is not easy especially on a floor jack. Also the line nuts a usually rusted and that makes the job all that more difficult.

kevvan

Reaction score
The tank is down and out. Broke the bolt on the front strap and had to build a splice. Dropping the tank was not terrible, but all of the fittings were rusted solid. Getting the hoses off was a pain the a$$. I ended up cutting the end off one of the hoses because it was fused to the metal fitting. It was no good anyway as it had dry rot on both ends. Hopefully the parts store has a replacement in stock.

I could not get the fittings loose where they attached to the sending unit. I simply broke the metal lines on the old sending unit to get them free then dealt with getting the lines disconnected after the fact. I ended up having to take one of the fuel lines out from under the frame rail and put the nut in the vice to free the fitting. Probably would have been something for penetrating oil and time, but I went another way.

I plan to clean out the tank today, it had a lot of debris inside and a broken plastic fitting of some sort inside. It is a project truck for me, not my daily drive so I am going to take some time to wire wheel some of the surface rust off the tank, and undercarriage before I put things all back together. This is kind of why I wanted to drop the tank vs. do other things, wanted to get a look at the under chassis.

Shot a video of the escapade and at some point I'll produce it and post it.

I decided to call my adventure Office Dwellers Garage. ODG. My truck is called Groove.

I make videos of things I do as a hobby so why not document what I am doing with my truck. Of course, I'll subject myself to trolls but maybe someone will learn from my adventures or see how it goes in real life for someone who is not a mechanic, but wants to play with restoring a truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Look carefully around the filler hose connection on the tank if it's rusty there....it may leak when all put back together. When I did my fuel pump, I pulled the bed, but also dropped the tank. I pressure washed everything, and when I put it all back together, the tank leaks right there at the filler hose, even with a new hose and filler neck, so it's must be the tank itself.

kevvan

Reaction score
Finished the job today but... truck would not fire. Not sure it is getting power to the pump which is what I am going to chase from here. The battery was dead so I had to put a battery charger on it and when back up to charge I'll try to troubleshoot it.

One thing I am positive off is that I cleaned the spot where I attached the ground which I know could be a possible culprit.

If there is no power to the pump, where might the issue be? I checked the fuse, and replaced the relay with a fresh one which I can hear clicking when I turn the key. Is there something else that would cut off power to the fuel pump? My father shared with me that in some vehicles there is a switch to stop operation in the event of an accident. Does my truck have one and how would I check it?

Any suggestions of where to look would be appreciated and I'll do what I can to check the hot wire to the pump to see if power is going in when the battery is recharged tomorrow.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The oil sensor is a backup to the fuel relay, make sure its connected.