Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I upgraded to the newer MPFI spider, and will be hopefully running a procharger this summer. My current pump sometimes whines while running, so I thought an upgrade would be a good idea.

Also do you need to run upgraded wiring to account for the bigger pump?

Last edited:

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pump failure as a result of heat. Do not constantly run tank on 1/4 or less. Keep it 1/2 to full.

I’ve heard that too. Both my failures in the past occurred after running out of gas. My current pump is working, but I’ve ran it dry a couple times due to the fuel gauge doesn’t register below half. So I’m really going in to fix the sender, but will swap the pump too since I know it’s days are numbered.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today’s progress got the front 4 bolts out. The back 4 could be hand wrenched out, but pulling the receiver hitch will give me access to the hole in the frame. Then I can use an extension and the impact. 4 bolts so far were clean, but tight all the way out due to factory loctite.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Got it finished up and working. Only issue was the vortec pump needs a little trimming to fit in the sending unit cradle. Very minor. The hardest part for me was getting the lock ring reinstalled. If I had to do over I’d drop the tail pipe bracket so I could get more bed tilt.

2 issues I discovered. The sender had been replaced with an aftermarket Spectra brand. Also both line fittings were loose, like I didn’t need wrenches. Somebody got in a hurry. With the old sender out and still plugged in, I confirmed it was bad by moving the float lever. The new one works correctly with the gauge.

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also both line fittings were loose, like I didn’t need wrenches. Somebody got in a hurry.

When I did mine a few weeks ago it was the same deal. The fittings were barely finger tight. I think it's because whoever put the last pump in didn't lift the bed and struggled with the fittings from below. That's where lifting the bed really shines. You can just pop the wrenches right onto the fittings with no interference whatsoever.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering about corrosion on the sender, but seeing how it was already replaced I'd say you hit a home run with your parts selection. Spectra is garbage, not surprised that it failed.