Front springs won't seat in the control arm pocket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought new moog stock replacement springs and I can't get them to seat in the lower control arm pocket. I rented a coil spring compressor from the local retailer but I can't fit it inside the spring and then install it on the truck, a 2wd Tahoe, 1999 model. Is there a truck to getting the spring to seat properly? I have the top lined up with the teeth that center of in the upper spring bucket, but the bottom of the spring is clocked 90 degrees or so off the mark. How do I get these springs lined up correctly?

These are the springs Moon cc648
This is the coil spring compressor I rented.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are teeth in the top that have to fit in the middle of the spring. If I fit them in the lower a-arm first I won't be able to get the top of the spring oriented with the upper locating teeth. Is there a better tool than the one I've rented?

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue and I put the compressor on and ran it up a bit. Then I positioned it and chained it to the spring tower in the frame. From the opposite side, I hooked a come along to it and pulled it over while someone else jacked the lower control arm over.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a PITA for me actually a lot of info on the forum. The compressor I used was useless. Kept slipping off. Safety glasses and use caution. Definitely something you want becarful. Btw dont forget the insulator on the top of the spring. There normally worn rubber by now
I did the jack/ sledge hammer method

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last time I did mine, I used the compressor tool, on the inside as you mentioned, compressed the spring enough to get it in place, installed it with a small floor jack under the lower control arm. That way I could release the jack enough to get the spring compressor out, but not so much so that I lost all tension on the spring. Once I got the compressor tool out, then I jacked the floor jack up to install the spinal. Then finished jacking the lower control arm in place. Yes it's a PITA, but that works pretty good.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I like to do my own repairs, but this sounds like something to farm out! I think the tire shop where I've gotten the last two alignments can handle it.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are teeth in the top that have to fit in the middle of the spring. If I fit them in the lower a-arm first I won't be able to get the top of the spring oriented with the upper locating teeth. Is there a better tool than the one I've rented?
remove the sway bar link o the lower arm will go down further. rotate the spring so the lower end will line up with the notch. Maintain this position as you put the lower end in. A long tire spoon work great as a pry bar to get the bottom of the spring to pop into position. Use a floor jack to bring the LCA up.
If you engine is out, you may not have enough weight to compress the spring. Wrap a chain around the frame and your front jack axle.