Front door glass replacement - from above or below?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Continuing on from my mirror punching through the door glass (1999 Suburban) I have to replace the glass.
Found a video on YT on how to remove the big steel plate. But don't know whether (the remains) of my window should be in fully raised or lowered position before I remove the plate.

Haynes says glass is removed from the bottom (ie, fully lower window) but on the GMT400 forum thread I found the video on (only goes as far as replacing regulator - not glass) there are posts saying glass replacement is via the top (ie fully raised).

Which is it? Is either viable and if so which is better? I think I saw something about having to remove external door locks to do it from the top.
TIA.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try explain how I do it. I make no promise if it makes sense lol.

I roll mine down to about 3/4 way, get tge bolts out of the black inner structure that way it's sitting on the tabs on the bottom.

I'll lean black piece out at top and pull it up enough to get it off tabs then I'll slide it forward to get front roller out of track then I'll slide it back to get rear roller out at this point the structure is free.

Sometimes tilting, raising the black piece helps get it off the rollers kinda just got to try what works for you and it can help also if someone can help support the glass while you do all that.

Might not make sense but it's best I can do to explain how I do it

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try explain how I do it. I make no promise if it makes sense lol.

I roll mine down to about 3/4 way, get tge bolts out of the black inner structure that way it's sitting on the tabs on the bottom.

I'll lean black piece out at top and pull it up enough to get it off tabs then I'll slide it forward to get front roller out of track then I'll slide it back to get rear roller out at this point the structure is free.

Sometimes tilting, raising the black piece helps get it off the rollers kinda just got to try what works for you and it can help also if someone can help support the glass while you do all that.

Might not make sense but it's best I can do to explain how I do it

I found a video and the way they removed the inner plate fits your description - slid it forward a few inches to release the front roller then tilt/rotated it release the rear one.

For that then, the lifter has to be close to the bottom. Once I've done that then, how do I fit the new glass (old one is shattered so can't 'practice' with it)?
From the bottom and aim upwards and somehow restrain until I get the steel plate and rollers reconnected then lower the glass back down onto the lifter?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best to get someone to help support glass. I can do it by myself but the extra hands can help.

Anyways one glass is in door take lean,twist the black piece and get the rear roller as close as possible to glass.ill usually gently push on arm of regulator to get the rear roller in the track once rear roller is in I slide the structure forward get the front roller in then pick up the assembly to get the support tabs back in place and bolt it back on

EDIT it can help to get rollers all the way down to give you a little more flex to get them in channel

Its one them things you kinda got to get a feel what works for you

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There'll only be me - no one else to help with the glass - which is kind of spooking me.

What I'm getting though, is that getting the new glass into the door isn't a problem - only holding it safely why refitting the inner plate with the rollers. Which, after seeing the video doesn't look too bad. Providing I don't drop the glass while I'm doing it. Is that about right?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There'll only be me - no one else to help with the glass - which is kind of spooking me.

What I'm getting though, is that getting the new glass into the door isn't a problem - only holding it safely why refitting the inner plate with the rollers. Which, after seeing the video doesn't look too bad. Providing I don't drop the glass while I'm doing it. Is that about right?

That's a bit tougher. I did it to by myself. But I think I tried multiple things to get it.. so I really cant tell you what I did.. kinda like what Dropped88 said. However biggest thing is to be able to fit the roller with out guessing and pivoting the plate to line up everything. I would tape the glass unless it's on the bottom. Doing it from the bottom can be tricky linking up. Oh and dont pinch wires or chop em when testing

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's some random pics of mine

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second post here has the video I mentioned >> https://www.gmt400.com/threads/rebuilding-a-door.41745/
At 3m40s he's removing the inner plate. At 5m10s he's refitting it. But his glass is already there.
I guess what have to do is get my glass through the big hole and settled into the track the rollers engage with.
Closest I've seen to that is the pic directly above - cheers SUBURBAN5!