Front brakes help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DForce909

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got a 1997 Silverado 2wd and I recently replaced the Two front rotors, calipers, and the pads. Ive got two issues. After putting the brake line back onto the new caliper I tried to bleed it fully but the bleeder valve had nothing coming out of it. The brakes still seem to work however they arent as firm as they were. Also I am starting to hear a grinding sound right up to the point I come to a complete stop. Both these things happened to the driver side. Im trying to trouble shoot the issue but not sure what I need to go after right now. Any help??

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You cleaned up and repacked the wheel bearings, and set them up correctly? And did you clean the caliper bolts and lubricate them-and the flat surfaces where the caliper slides on the spindle? The brake pads have those anti rattle spring clips that snap into the piston (inboard) and around the ears on the caliper, in the little dimples (outboard). If all this isn't done right, it could lead to the problem you're having.
Also, there could be something in the caliper that's catching on something. Did you get all the hardware, nuts, bolts, etc. out and accounted for? I had a nut get away from me and roll into the inside of the rotor hat. Could hear something rolling around but couldn't figure out what it was, until I pulled the wheel and rotor off again. It also might be the splash shield ( the tin piece behind the rotor) is bent and making contact with the rotor.
And all your new parts matched up what you took off? These trucks have a lot of different brake options. There's a code on the glove box door that should indicate which brake system your truck has. It'll be JB- and a number, like 5,6,7,or 8. 1500 should be 5 or 6. My C1500 Burb is JB6 for example. If the glove box door is original to the truck, these option codes will help a lot with getting correct parts and paint.
Good luck and post updates

Last edited:

DForce909

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

I know for certain the bearings are packed 100%. The bolts for the caliper came greased up already so I didnt add any more. I added a bit of grease to the pads back side. Maybe I should add more and check the replacement. Theres a possibility that the pads could be wrong since those little placement holds on the outboard pad dont line up too well. Itll fit in of the dents fine but not fully in the other.

I will certainly take a look at the rotor and the pads and the shield to look over everything.

Nope I certainly didnt look at any part numbers to match but knowing that I will. Thanks for all the advice I will look over these things and post back what I find soon.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Goodluck and again like HotWheelsBurban said. Make sure you have the right parts and double check everything and look for play or scraps from metal rubbing