Front brakes help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DForce909

Reaction score
Alright, I got an update. There was some debris that got on the bearings when I was greasing them up before I put them on. I initially thought they were good but decided to double check and replaced them with new ones. The bearings were the right parts and everything and I went for a test drive. Another part I noticed that had play was one of the pads which is now fixed. But still I have grinding and now I am not sure what it could be. I suspect then its the brake line maybe? I am not sure at all at this point.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I know this can be hard to describe but how does the grinding sound for example, abs pump, trans grinding, metal scraping metal, gears slipping. Ect

DForce909

Reaction score
When I spin it it almost sounds as if there is like a crunchy sound almost like if there were a a couple small grains of sand. I cant tell for sure if its metal on metal because I feel as though Id know how that sounds. But it does sound normal then a bit of scraping of something like if your watch has a bezel with a few small grains of sand in it and you tried moving it. Trying my best to describe this to you...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I spin it it almost sounds as if there is like a crunchy sound almost like if there were a a couple small grains of sand. I cant tell for sure if its metal on metal because I feel as though Id know how that sounds. But it does sound normal then a bit of scraping of something like if your watch has a bezel with a few small grains of sand in it and you tried moving it. Trying my best to describe this to you...

That may be normal. That sounds like the rotor scrapping the pads. I was thinking your issue like somebody trying to drive standard and there grinding the clutch lol. Reason why I'm asking is because do you think it's the brakes for sure or with the front end?

DForce909

Reaction score
When I spun it however it was when the caliper was off.. oh no nothing that alarming. I mean I can feel the grind when I am coming to a complete stop and I can hear it too. I would be surprised if it is something else since I never had this problem until I replaced everything this past weekend.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I spun it however it was when the caliper was off.. oh no nothing that alarming. I mean I can feel the grind when I am coming to a complete stop and I can hear it too. I would be surprised if it is something else since I never had this problem until I replaced everything this past weekend.

I believe with the calipers off the rotor supposed to be quite. Also. What pad did you use?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just a fyi they go bad and choke calipers. I had to replace mine. Recommend stainless hoses and if you end up messing with it again better to take care of it now then have them swell internally
Yes that's right about the hoses. I forgot to mention that's how my my brake work became necessary! The hose on the passenger side collapsed internally and locked up the caliper. Locked up enough to catch on fire! Melted the ABS sensor package. So I got new hoses and calipers and fresh pads. This Burb was my daily driver in Houston until a couple weeks ago, so it gets to stop a lot!
I replaced that set of pads in June, probably could have gone a bit longer, but the guy who changed the shocks pointed out that they were pretty worn. He'd have done it then for some more $$, but I assured him that was something I could take care of. I had the shocks done by a shop, because I remember from helping dad with the fronts on our other 99 Burb that it was a major pain in the ass!
Those clips are pretty stiff, I used a big sturdy screwdriver to pry them in place. I'm **** about parts being cleaned; that was my first job working with dad, cleaning nuts, bolts and brackets. There's a shelf in the shop with all different types of specialty automotive lubricants and cleaners.
I grew up in a family owned auto parts store, so I got to see several times where the parts the book said weren't the correct ones for the car.
Don't take this the wrong way, but when you replaced the bearings, did you knock out the old races ( the tapered cup the wheel bearing fits in) and replace them with the ones that came with the new bearings? They're sold as matched sets and need to be replaced as such. I'm not trying to talk down to you-- I don't know how much you know. If the new bearings are in the old, worn races, they'll be likely to make noise. And noise in a bearing means damage.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good thing it didnt catch on fire....I would of been freaking out. My shocks wernt too bad. Wanna change it to bilstein though