Front airbag sensor relocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't post this one on GMSB unless you want hate mail.....
@4.17 forward pretty much sums up the benefits of airbags. The steering wheel looks tweaked from the headbang and a head plant sized dent in the dash on the passenger side.

Not sure what year seatbelt pre-tensioners started, but they would be disabled too if the system is non-op. From what I understand these tests are done with weighted dummy's. Don't see bent steering wheels and windshields with scalp and hair on them anymore since the advent of bags.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
@4.17 forward pretty much sums up the benefits of airbags. The steering wheel looks tweaked from the headbang and a head plant sized dent in the dash on the passenger side.

Not sure what year seatbelt pre-tensioners started, but they would be disabled too if the system is non-op. From what I understand these tests are done with weighted dummy's. Don't see bent steering wheels and windshields with scalp and hair on them anymore since the advent of bags.
I agree, and that's why we try to be more careful in the crew cab; since it's a C3500 with 9000# gvwr, it doesn't have airbags.
My main point with my statement, was folks on the square body forum don't like to see nice new trucks getting squished, and would tell you about it! There are two members there right now that are dealing with insurance companies, both on wrecks they did not cause but were involved in, with injuries and damage to their trucks. So it's kind of a sensitive subject.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha
Airbags have their place and I'm not one thats against them at all.
Technically not supposed to tamper with, splice wiring, etc. At one time you could get pigtails to repair wiring but not sure if that's still the case as collision repair standards have changed. Nobody ever thinks it's going to happen to them, but it's not only you that you have to worry about. it usually takes frame rail damage to set off bags, bumping a curb at low speed wouldn't do it. Most switches are inertia type switches so it takes a 30-40mph to zero event to trigger. If there are injuries and the bags don't go off it will looked at hard.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, and that's why we try to be more careful in the crew cab; since it's a C3500 with 9000# gvwr, it doesn't have airbags.
My main point with my statement, was folks on the square body forum don't like to see nice new trucks getting squished, and would tell you about it! There are two members there right now that are dealing with insurance companies, both on wrecks they did not cause but were involved in, with injuries and damage to their trucks. So it's kind of a sensitive subject.....
Yeah, I could see that. When I see movies or shows I now say the same thing to classic or older vehicles. I wonder does Hollywood really waste them in crashes

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, I could see that. When I see movies or shows I now say the same thing to classic or older vehicles. I wonder does Hollywood really waste them in crashes
That's why '68-70 chargers are so expensive; Duke's of Hazzard killed so many of them. One jump and that car will never be right again....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Meyer install directions have zero mention of the airbags for the gmt400 mounts. I'm currently leaning towards clearancing the bracing depending on how much it needs. Paging @RichLo , you have SRS sensor on your plow truck in that position?

Plan on getting it mounted up this evening after picking up new hardware, maybe without that brace for today.

No, my plow truck is a 1989 model and even if it did, with how my truck is used, it would have been long gone years ago.

However, I agree that you should find a way that suits you to disable it while plowing and then hook it back up for normal driving since your hauling around other people.

You should never hit anything bad enough that would cause it to light off and the plow has a trip blade that will let it bounce over small obstacles. BUT since your mounting it on a street driven truck, your subjecting yourself to helping out a friend or relative who may or may not remember that old oak stump that's covered under some leaves and snow right next to the driveway on a long straight away... just close enough to catch the edge of the blade when you have nice rolling action going on.