Moving coolant temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umwtnt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone moved the computer coolant sensor, mounted by the thermostat to the back of the right side head where the coolant plug is at. I've thought about to continue to tidy up my wiring on top of the intake manifold. also moving the grounds to the back of the head on the right side. Any thoughts on how this might affect the computer. I'm not sure if the area beside the thermostat heats up fast then the port in the head. Thank you for any feedback.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes the GM engineers did things a certain way, which may be beyond our understanding, but THEY designed it, unless your improvements are verified and proven, " let sleeping dogs lie". Choose wisely .

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Might be fun to try, but I would not expect it to function like nothing had been changed. The head is bound to be a different temperature than the intake manifold near the thermostat. Rather than remove wires from the top of the intake, it would be better to clean contacts or replace pigtails if necessary and re-loom them. Also clean or replace grounds in general.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
moving the grounds to the back of the head on the right side. Any thoughts on how this might affect the computer.
NO, the grounds are put there for a reason. Heads are insulated from the block via gaskets, intake insulated from the heads via gaskets, Don't move shyt around making ground paths/ground planes non-existent, intermittent, and/or problematic.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
NO, the grounds are put there for a reason. Heads are insulated from the block via gaskets, intake insulated from the heads via gaskets, Don't move shyt around making ground paths/ground planes non-existent, intermittent, and/or problematic.

I think he meant he was going to move the ground with the sensor, which would make sense to keep them together. I do beleive the as designed spot for both is the best.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Like Schurkey said, it'll read hotter back there which means the PCM will pull timing sooner among other things. I'd leave it be. I've seen a 15 degree delta between the front of the driver's head and rear of passenger's head. I imagine it only grows the farther forward you go.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years back, I converted a carbureted SBC to TBI. I used a 3.8L Buick coolant temperature sensor with both the gauge and ECM sender in it. I had a carb manifold with the adapter plate. I saw no appreciable problem running that sensor in the driver side cylinder head.