Forged lower control arms for Tuff Country lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mange16v

Reaction score
I ran into an issue with the stamped lower control arms on my 99 OBS Tahoe. They allowed for almost zero suspension travel with the new one piece subframe.

I bought dorman forged lower control arms and now the hex is larger on the control arm and the torsion bar is a bit loose in it.

Does anyone have any clean factory forged lower control arms or know what aftermarket forged lower arms are in spec?

for whatever reason my photos always upload upside down.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Dorman doesn't make forged lower control arms for our trucks.... no one does, that I'm aware of. Your best bet is GM part numbers and an ebay search.

I'd contact the lift manufacturer and talk to them, unless someone here knows what's up.... I've never had a lift.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Realift told me that GM made the hex larger on later model gmt400's because the torsion bars were like weld rusting in the early model trucks. I did notice more play in my forged arms than the factory stamped. How much play do you have?

I also agree with @454cid, I dont think anybody makes control arms for these vehicles but you can find forged arms in the gmt800 trucks much easier. Do the arms have part numbers?

Mange16v

Reaction score
It’s actually a 99 2500 Silverado part I’m using (at least that’s what I remember the search coming up as), so maybe that’s where the size comes in. Honestly it’s not enough to worry about but I’m not the kind of person to put something together like that.

but then again I guess it was engineered like that from the sounds of it... I found some factory Forged off a suburban but if it doesn’t matter...

The dorman part numbers I have are 521-878 and 521-877. driver side in, passenger is stuck somewhere in civic land. I can take a picture of the play tomorrow.

-Eric

Mange16v

Reaction score
You can actually see in the picture how the hex is machined with a taper. So it probably is meant to spin a bit.

Mange16v

Reaction score
I have some gmt400 forged lowers coming. Hopefully. Going to see if they are straight and clean and if not I’ll have to find another pair.

Seems like the bushings might be different from the stamped to forged though. I have poly ones so hopefully they fit.