Forged Lower Control Arm Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my whole front end in 2007-ish, I left the bushings. I wish I hadn't. They're in bad shape now.
I considered leaving the LCA bushings, I knew the uppers were shot. When I pressed out the lowers I saw how bad they were, and I'm really glad I replaced them.

Eurocopter

Reaction score
I would love to see this definitively solved. I’m going into the project in the coming weeks. I ordered all my parts already but never settled on any lca bushings may just leave them like I’m assuming most people do. Anyhow great question. I’ll post back with what I did.
Absolute garbage to try and post here but I finally got through it... I have gone to extreme pains to resolve this. I have a Unicorn also; 1997 Vortech Chevrolet K2500 Suburban 454-4L80E-RPO Code80 Rear with 116k original miles found in barn in NC. No rust. I have removed forged lowers twice and I'm good at it. One of the posts above suggest Prothane and parts number. After installing vehicle pulls to right when braking, 4x4 parts showed me the control arm jerking out of position by maybe 3/32's or 1.5 mm when turning steering wheel. Yes, the Prothanes are (CLOSE) but not correct.
I ordered a set of Dorman bushings from Auto zone with sleeves (I know they do not go in forged arms, but gave me reason to remove an arm and actually measure) Here is what I've found; The Prothanes are 46 mm (front) and the *shelled* Dormans are 48 mm. Understanding the metal shells will not CRUSH, I kept looking. I just noticed here in this forum a suggestion of Hummer bushings, I keyed in part number and got the measurements. I do believe this is the END-All definitive answer. Fed-x will have them to me tomorrow and I will post results in a day or two...

NOTE: I ordered GM lower control arm bolts and they all 4 have smaller heads that do not require loosening differential to remove. I was surprised they came in actual GM parts bags!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the play coming from the bushing or sleeve,can you post a pic of the orientation you installed the bushings? (one is longer,they only go in a certain direction) i had to use a ball joint press to install the bushing and sleeve and had to force the control arm back in so i never figured it could be loose.I'll test mine and see if i can simulate any play

Eurocopter

Reaction score
Ok people. Here is the definitive answer!!! The 2004 Hummer bushings above are the exact match for the **FORGED**lower control arms. The Prothane bushings are sloppy at best, I ordered/installed those first, they are too small. That person should be banned considering the amount of work involved...
NOTE: The prothane bushings were so loose I removed them and reinstalled the factory bushings after guys at 4x4 parts demonstrated the control arm jerking out of position just by turning the steering wheel.
NOTE 2: I had to use handheld press to get new bushings in. I froze them to -7 degrees in deep freeze and used Olive oil cooking spray sprayed inside bushing holes in lca's. (I also cleaned holes with a mild cylinder hone) Putting calipers on all; (lower front was chief concern) Factory (used) bushings were 45.5 mm and Prothanes were 44 mm, then the Mevotechs were 48 mm. Also installed new GM LCA bolts with smaller heads (18mm)
BTW; absolutely no metal shell bushings will work for the forged lca's.

1997 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban-454-4L80E-14 bolt-116k original miles.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Eurocopter

Reaction score
Was the play coming from the bushing or sleeve,can you post a pic of the orientation you installed the bushings? (one is longer,they only go in a certain direction) i had to use a ball joint press to install the bushing and sleeve and had to force the control arm back in so i never figured it could be loose.I'll test mine and see if i can simulate any play
Sleeved bushings do not go in forged arms.

Eurocopter

Reaction score
Final alignment yesterday at 4 Wheel parts. Mechanic came in and stated *spot on* or equivalent... Guy behind register said "he's jealous, he has one too" heh! I'm happy to be done with this. Drives/steers perfect, what a difference the lca bushings make in giving a precise, solid feel.
I have a vibration I believe to be from the rear, considering it got worse after filling the tank I'm assuming; shocks, tires, leaf spring bushings... I put new Michelin tires on front because there were two tires in very good condition on old rims. (Same tires) I just had them all mounted on new rims and balanced. I may have the two rears rebalanced before I discard them...
Bought a push bar and brush guard, left packing on for protection until installed, removed packing and lower tube on top is formed wrong.
Seller doesn't respond...
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach