First Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
First Tow with this truck. The PO used it as a tow pig. So I had no worries. It had A 7 pole plug so I ass-u-me it worked. And of course you all know what I found hiding when I started inspecting. The 7 pole only had 2 wires hooked to it. No clue what powers them. I'll have to hunt that down later. So I purchased a new 7 pole. Ran the t-one to it that was hooked to a 5 pole round. And now I have lights. Happy. Now I just need to figure out if I can salvage the trailer brake controller.

Unloaded it didn't even feel like it was there. I'll report back after the move.

Nightmare
You must be registered for see images attach

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the same guy that wired yours, wired my 95 K3500....

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Why is it that nobody can properly install trailer harnesses on these trucks? And everyone uses the t-connectors from the tail light harnesses, instead of the factory trailer stub out behind the licence plate?

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm lucky this go round I bought a truck without completely hacked wiring.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines like this too haha. Thanks to the Diagram Dave posted i'll be fixing it asap when the new bumper goes on.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I only made it marginally better. Still looks pretty bad. I have no idea what the 12 gauge red/blue or the 10 gauge red wire go too. But I had to get trailer lights. I'll tackle that in days to come. Now I could go with the assumption the blue is trailer brake..... but I think I learned my lesson on assuming the PO did anything right.

The car demons strike hard on wiring. I'm pretty sure hacked wiring is one of the number one things on older vehicles. My second vote is for exhaust.

I didn't see any factory stub. Unless it was what I was in fact using. I just figured it was aftermarket. But it does look like it could be factory. And believe it or not, everything past from the t up looked in good shape.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres the stock diagram

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the bundle is on all of the trucks. A pretty good portion of the work I do involves trailer wiring and I have seen these trucks without the bundle. The one ton I built years ago had it, it was a 92. My z71 extended cab didn't, but my fathers 97 2wd long box did, both 96-98's.

As far as butcher work being done electrically in vehicles, trailer plugs are usually the worst. I have seen work come from "reputable" shops in my area that looked like the spaghetti I had for supper last night.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Ok. New place just got internet. Truck and trailer crossed the scale at 13,680. I felt it back there. But the truck handled real good.

So after all my trouble rewiring my truck. I find out the trailer itself has wiring issues.

I will have to agree on trailer wiring being most hacked. Radio next. Then under hood hacking. Although the radio wiring was all stock in this truck. Trailer and under hood are a mess.

And today having starting problems. But that's for another thread.