Great White Buffalo (first post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post, I've been living in the shadows for awhile I guess. I have a big block 95 K3500 that we affectionally refer to as the "Great White Buffalo". The Buffalo is my tow rig/perpetual project. Quick backstory on the Buffalo then I'll get to my intended topic. After pulling my trailer camping last year and only getting 4-5 mpg's I decided the Buffalo needed an upgrade. RV cam, headers, and exhaust was my intention. That snow balled on me when I found a set of gen 6 heads fairly cheap. I ended up putting the cam in, doing the headers and dual 3 inch exhaust, but also the heads and a speedmaster dual plane intake. At that point it was obvious the factory TBI wasn't going to cut it so I upgraded to a Fitech throttle body system which also required a trans controller as the factory ecu was basically deleted. I'm still working kinks out as I don't have a lot of time for it but the few times I've had it out it's been noticeably livelier.
On to my intended topic. The endgame for the Buffalo was never this hodgepodge of upgrades. My desire from the beginning has been a 496 stroker (with a single turbo). I imagine there are a fair amount of people who would find this pointless and/or overkill, especially when you find out that it only tows a trailer 3 or 4 times a year. My wife is one of those people, as are most of my friends. Everyone I know has some new diesel that makes 1100 ft lbs without breaking a sweat. That's great and nothing against it, but it seems so sterile to me. I grew up reading hot rod and wanting nothing more in life than a blown big block chevy in virtually everything. This project is currently in the planning/starting pointless threads phase. I'm no mechanic, I'm a weekend warrior at best. I would say that I'm more ambitious than talented. There is a lot of experience in here as I've read in other threads, so my intention wasn't really to ask a specific question(s), but to get the conversation started and see what I can glean from it. Below is my very early and broad plans.

496 stroker short block (gapped for boost, may never happen, but I did say I was ambitious)
L29 heads (I know there is far superior options, but I'm not trying to wind this thing up. "Low" end grunt is the intended goal)
RV cam - Hydraulic roller setup
Fuel injection - Upgrade from the Fitech to something that has a trans controller and boost capable