Great White Buffalo (first post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I think Straub is the one who recommended an aggressive split on duration for bbc's doing heavy hauling... peaking at 4800 rpm with a flat torque curve from 1800 to 3200. Claims increase of 1 to 2 mpg on average also.

.400/.388, 199/212, 109 lsa

They are in TN and on my short list
That's not much different than stock. I think I'd want a wider lsa in hopes of a smoother idle. The mpg's would be a welcomed addition.

Reaction score
Perusing rockauto this morning and adding things to my perpetual cart I came across this melling retrofit roller cam. I didn't know rockauto sold these or really any "performance" aftermarket parts. I've only ever bought oem parts from them. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of melling cams? It's pretty much in the wheelhouse of what I'm leaning towards. Maybe a little higher duration, but I definitely like the wider lsa. Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Working out my compression ratio today. Looks like I had guessed a little high. Came out to 8.6:1. I'm sure there's a margin of error in there but that's about as close as I can get with my rudamentry dial indicator and feeler gauge. Piston measures right about .033 in the hole. Took the piston volume from rockauto oem replacement specs.
Kind of happy it's a mid 8 and not north of 9:1. I feel a little better with the less duration cam.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY go with a roller cam! Is your block roller ready? If not you'll need a retrofit, but flat tappet cams are garbage anymore. They all just eat themselves and the lifters explode as you've observed. I did a 212/218 .520/.530 lift cam in mine, I think 114+2? It's been many beers, I mean years since I put it in. I got it from Schneider Racing Cams, they split from Crower waayyyy back in the day and seem to know their poo.

Reaction score
Valve spring question:
I'm on the verge of ordering my cam, but thought I better sort my valve springs out first. The original flat tappet that I smoked was a .485/.485 lift and I didn't ever change the stock springs. I figured I could probably get away with it under 500. Almost every roller I look at is a .500 lift cam even in modest rv trim. Lunati has a .465/.485 lift cam that would basically work without changing anything. I think it's 206/210, not much bigger than stock but frankly my inner 17 year old still has a lot of pull on me and wants bigger.
Looking around for valve spring packages all I really come up with is comp. At least they seem to be the most complete kits. What else is out there? What else is available that works with Gen 6 BBC heads? Either kits or combinations that you guys have done. The cam I'm leaning towards is a .501/.510, 216/228 on a 112lsa. Any thoughts?