Exhaust drone elimination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wow... how on earth would I even graft something like that on there?
Reminds me of the proboscis silencer box on the Vortec air intake tube and ducts... The one above and behind the actual throttle body inlet.

The way I understand it, in practical application on an exhaust system, it's simply a straight piece or exhaust pipe, installed at the right location, consisting of the correct volume, to quell resonance at a specific RPM. It gets welded perpindicular to the existing pipe near the back and looks nothing like what came up when I just googled it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upower 3 Inch Inlet/Outlet Exhaust Muffler, 3" Inlet Resonator with 18" Length Overall Length 22" Resonator Great Tone Universal Stainless Steel Muffler Resonator
That's funny, it says in big letters "Stainless Steel" then, in one of the pictures it says "Aluminized Steel" :anitoof:
It looks like a glorified glass pack.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
In general mufflers kill the high frequency and resonators are good at cancelling the low frequencies.

If a muffler/resonator has louvers you want the exhaust to flow OVER the louvers like a ski jumper vs. into them like a cheese grater.

They flow better and are quieter when oriented correctly. Perforated cores don't care unless the manufacturer says otherwise.

You may find that just the resonator gives you the sound level you want. if not then add an additional muffler/replace the muffler.

As a rule the larger the muffler case volume the better they work both in flow and in sound reduction.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
That last sentence is good news to me Frank. when I built my exhaust system on the burb like 9 years ago my FIL brought me a stainless intermediat pipe, muffler and tail pipe section that was all welded but the muffler was huge. like 2 times the size. hell free is a good price so I installed it.

I had just bought the y pipe with both cats at $700ish and I was just going to repair the rest of the pipes until he showed up with the that.

LMAO he told me it came out of the muffler mans recycling bin out back of their shop. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! yup hes one of those kinds of people.....

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
That last sentence is good news to me Frank. when I built my exhaust system on the burb lkke 9 years ago my FIL brought me a stainless intermediat pipe, muffler and tail pipe section that was all welded but the muffler was huge. like 2-3 times the size. hell free is a good price so I installed it.

I had just bought the y pipe with both cats at $700ish and I was just going to repair the rest of the pipes until he showed up with the that.

LMAO he told me it came out of the muffler mans recycling bin out back of their shop. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! yup hes one of those kinds of people.....
Factory mufflers are often restrictive but if you are happy with it, :biggrin: leave it alone!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 06 2500 suburban came with a loud a$$ Flowmaster the PO installed. That thing was annoying as HELL! It was pretty rusty as a bonus, even though it wasn't that old and stuff around here generally doesn't rust badly.

Anyways, it took me a while, but I eventually found an OEM one from another similar truck getting parted out for $25. I think it's a 2.5" dual in/out on those trucks? A muffler shop charged me like $100 to install it.

I drove home so happy, in spite of the fact that the claimed 25 ponies stayed behind with that rusty POS! I'll stick with OEM if possible or stainless steel aftermarket.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's funny, it says in big letters "Stainless Steel" then, in one of the pictures it says "Aluminized Steel" :anitoof:
It looks like a glorified glass pack.
I know, and it IS a cheap glorified glass pack.
I looked farther down, and in the customer questions, the seller stated that it is stainless steel.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this a while back, here's dyno results for the difference between a 3" single "Turbo Muffler" against a 3" straight through one. Big gains throughout the entire pull for the straight through one! ~25ft/lbs and 41 HP at the peak.
You must be registered for see images attach

True dual 2-1/2" not as much but, the single 3" beat the true duals straight through mufflers.