Evo assist power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does your trucks steering feel afterwards? Full assist all the time?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Mine felt better after the EVO removal.
But still over-boosted, as far as I'm concerned.
I corrected that by modding the spring in behind that puck.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good information, but I would like some clarification if someone can help me.

I have hydro-boost on my '99. When I'm in a turn at higher speeds, if I tap on the brakes, I can feel a slight tug on the steering wheel. I had a leaking hydro-boost unit that I have replaced. The tug has gone almost completely away with the new unit, but occasionally I can still feel a slight tug when I hit the brakes. I am planning on doing away with the EVO, figure if I'm not man enough to turn the wheel without it I should just give up. I have several extra pumps laying around from previous generations to the EVO. From what I have gathered from this and other posts, I can use the valve from one of those pumps and just replace the hose from the pump to the hydro unit with a pre EVO model year. Am I correct on my interpretation of all this information?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Google will be your friend on the steering wheel situation, I think. I've heard of one system effecting the other before since they're joined at the pump, but I don't recall details since I've not had that issue.

Your summary of the conversion, is my impression, too. Again, I haven't dealt directly with it, Though. I replaced my hoses recently, but I kept the EVO system.

I think my pump is getting weak. At low speeds, when backing out of a parking spot, I often don't get much steering assist for a second or two.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget that when you hit the brakes and load the front that adds weight to the wheel as well.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was definitely not that. A quick tap of the brake pedal during a high speed turn in either direction and it felt like someone gave a quick little jerk on the wheel. The new booster took it almost completely away. Now my bigger problem is the wife complains about how 'sloppy' feeling the steering is at highway speeds.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good information, but I would like some clarification if someone can help me.

I have hydro-boost on my '99. When I'm in a turn at higher speeds, if I tap on the brakes, I can feel a slight tug on the steering wheel. I had a leaking hydro-boost unit that I have replaced. The tug has gone almost completely away with the new unit, but occasionally I can still feel a slight tug when I hit the brakes. I am planning on doing away with the EVO, figure if I'm not man enough to turn the wheel without it I should just give up. I have several extra pumps laying around from previous generations to the EVO. From what I have gathered from this and other posts, I can use the valve from one of those pumps and just replace the hose from the pump to the hydro unit with a pre EVO model year. Am I correct on my interpretation of all this information?

I assume your truck is a 3/4 and you have the factory hydro with rear drums? I did the conversion on mine and have a GMT800 booster with rear disks. I removed the EVO and the steering was so over boosted it was difficult to drive. I didn't want to reduce pump pressure to the booster (and thereby the brakes) so I didn't change the valving in the pump I got a Heidt's adjustable valve and limited flow to the steering box only. I have it set to minimum restriction and it's better when driving at speed but now I feel like I have come full circle and could use the EVO as I basically have no power assist as parallel parking speed. I am about to put a slightly smaller pulley on the pump as the next tweak to alleviate this situation. My junkyard booster also leaks and I am replacing it with a new AC Delco unit.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I fixed the EVO on my 1500 with a new SWPS and I love it. If fixing it is an option I highly recommend it, the sensor was super easy to swap out. I expected a lot more asspain.