Evo assist power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no, mine sprays out a pinhole when you turn. They all weep some out of the swedge.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditch the ****. It's a horrible design and honestly could cause an accident when it's malfunctioning. I've had mine jerk while going around a curve in the rain and had I not known it was a existing issue could have caused a wreck. Luckily I was always butthole puckered waiting for it to happen but it's friggin damgerous. I'm deleting that on mine right now while I have it apart.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ditch the ****. It's a horrible design and honestly could cause an accident when it's malfunctioning. I've had mine jerk while going around a curve in the rain and had I not known it was a existing issue could have caused a wreck. Luckily I was always butthole puckered waiting for it to happen but it's friggin damgerous. I'm deleting that on mine right now while I have it apart.

I like the EVO when it's working, personally. Although I completely agree with you about it being dangerous if the column sensor starts to fail. I've had three or four of them go out in my trucks over the years. I always unplug them when they start acting weird until I can get them replaced. Driving around in full boost all the time isn't the safest or most stable, but it's a lot better than going from regular to full boost halfway through a corner.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said had it unplugged for years and then decided in the dually that I like properly functioning EVO, so went for it in the 1500 again. I wasn't sure if the solenoid was to blame or the SWPS. Now that it's narrowed down I'm just going to fix it properly and be done.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When it's unplugged, you're in full boost, right? How is the $60 bypass better? That's got to be full boost as well... unless you're changing the pressure or valving?

I would guess that the earlier non-EVO pumps are valved different, more of an average pressure since it lacks the ability to electronically change the pressure.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When it's unplugged, you're in full boost, right? How is the $60 bypass better? That's got to be full boost as well... unless you're changing the pressure or valving?

I would guess that the earlier non-EVO pumps are valved different, more of an average pressure since it lacks the ability to electronically change the pressure.

The bypass replaces a valve in the back of the pump with one from a non-EVO pump which puts it in that average range you alluded to. The only purpose of the tube is to allow the use of an EVO pressure hose.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The bypass replaces a valve in the back of the pump with one from a non-EVO pump which puts it in that average range you alluded to. The only purpose of the tube is to allow the use of an EVO pressure hose.

Instead of buy a $75 (on Amazon) conversion, I wonder if I could just by a non-EVO hose (it needs to be changed any way) and and a non-EVO valve.

That info may already be in this thread.... I haven't read it all.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Remove the C-clip, then the second part just slides off. Then in behind it is a slim nut. Turning that unscrews that second piece from the pump body.

When that part is removed, in behind it, inside the pump body is a puck & a spring. They are going to fall out. So be careful. Take note of which way those are in there so as to get them in proper when re-assembling. IIRC, the puck has a ridge on one side around the edge. I don't remember which way it faces, sooo...

I did mine with wrecker parts. If this is the way you want to go, don't forget to get this from the doner. ^^^
The EVO doesn't use that. It's needed for the swap, otherwise...

You can just see the puck in there. ^^^
That also shows the only other wrecker part required. The pressure line from the back of the pump to the S/box. It has that extra 180* bend in the end to get around the rear of the pump.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
More pix.

The before...

Yea. O.K. I hear some of you going "...but, wrecker parts!'
My '97's been done for 4 years or so & still hangin' in there. No leaks.
I think I spent a whole $9.00!

Here's a tip. Don't tighten the line up on the pump until the pump is mounted in the truck & the other end is attached to the S/box. That'll help to cut down on the cursin'!

Last edited: