Engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To echo what's already been said, if you're changing your oil every 3K miles anyway then it really doesn't matter much what you use. And if you're changing synthetic oil every 3K miles, you're wasting money. I change mine every 3K as well, but I run standard conventional dino oil in everything (usually Pennzoil out of habit, 5W-30 in both trucks) and I have Blackstone Labs test results to prove that what I do is overkill.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also im torn between amsoil and valvoline, honestly i dont really care how long i can go on a synthetic i just want an oil that will lubricate the engine the best with minimal breakdown. From the chart it still definitely looks like amsoil is better but idk valvoline seems like a great choice too
Valvoline is MUCH cheaper. And common sense does say just changing often would be biggest factor.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long time ago I remember reading that there are only two truly synthetic oils, Amsoil and Mobil 1. The others are super refined dino stuff. The other companies went to court and somehow got their oils labeled as synthetic. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 for years and Chevy recommends it in our GMT 400s. Using it in my new 383, change it every 3,000 miles because I tow with the GMC 1500 Suburban.

Since i'm so old that I used to use Havoline 30, changed it every 3,000 miles and just can't stop doing that. I suggest Sea Foam to stop ticking, worked in my 1965 Chevy Van's 292 towing motor.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
jesus christ it doesn't matter, just put oil in it and change it regularly. you're making this way harder than it needs to be

No **** right!?! It's a damn 25+ year old Chev, not a mc clarwn or Ferrari, u could prolly piss in the oil fill nd it'd be ok. I know guys who out 15w40 in thier chevs once a year and just terrorize em in the mud all year and they still run like ***** apes! Change ANY oil every 3k and it'll be fine!

victor II

Reaction score
I use 10w30 High Mileage Mobil 1. I have for years. 165k on the clock and she has great oil pressure and compression. I get it in 5 qt jugs from Amazon at a great price. As has been said, Dino oil should be changed about every 3k miles; I go longer with Mobil 1. There’s lots of science you can read about either. I won’t go into it here.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't do oil sampling at every oil change. I do it now-and-then, or if I have reason to suspect a problem. For example, when the thermostat failed, and the engine wouldn't get up to temperature, I took an oil sample for analysis, but I was so sure it was going to fail that I just changed the oil then. Yup--the lab said the oil had too much water contamination.

Oil analysis is a fantastic tool and that's a good way of using it.
I had my Vortec oil analysed to prove/disprove ring damage as oil consumption was higher than expected. Analysis showed none of the metals that would be present if the rings were damaged but picked up traces of chemicals from the antifreeze - pointing to leaking inlet manifold gaskets. Changed them and the high oil consumption is now cured. Got where I wanted to be - just by a different route.

Not "all" the benefits, but it's certainly a waste of money and resources to dump oil at 3K miles (or even at 6K miles most of the time) on an engine with feedback fuel injection and an overdrive transmission.

Agreed.
When oil actually needs to be changed, chances are the oil component is still fine but it's the additive packages that are spent.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL. I knew it was going to be like that when this thread started. I have never seen a thread about oil that wasn't.

Just change your oil every time a thread like this appears - and you'll be fine. I mean, there isn't an oil that doesn't last longer than a forum can go without a thread like this.