Engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Ok this one is pretty simple fellas, so my truck has 202k on the clock, and runs great. But i do worry about the motor so ive used 10w30 synthetic for a while. My boss used that in his 350 so he said it would be good in mine. My question is, for the summer should i use something thicker like 10w40 or more, or maybe an additive like lucas?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok this one is pretty simple fellas, so my truck has 202k on the clock, and runs great. But i do worry about the motor so ive used 10w30 synthetic for a while. My boss used that in his 350 so he said it would be good in mine. My question is, for the summer should i use something thicker like 10w40 or more, or maybe an additive like lucas?
Run what's on the oil cap, or run what's in the owner's manual, unless she's really coughing and you're just trying to squeeze a few more miles out before she goes kaput, then maybe run Lucas.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Well either im going crazy or i think im beginning to get a little lift tap in the rear of the block, so should i run thicker oil since its so hot? It only started since its been 90 degrees out

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I run Rotella T6 in everything with a block dating back to the 60's or older. The only Lucus Mucus product I'd endorse is their chain lube. However, I am a fan of MotorKote, I put that stuff in at every oil change. Became a fan after watching a Project Farm video about it. He put two lawn mower engines side by side, one that had been running oil with Motor Kote and another that was just straight motor oil. He drained the oil on both and let 'em rip. I think the one with MK ran for 30 minutes while the other locked up after about 3 minutes or so.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Well either im going crazy or i think im beginning to get a little lift tap in the rear of the block, so should i run thicker oil since its so hot? It only started since its been 90 degrees out

Put some CD2 in your engine and see if the tap goes away. Probably a sticky lifter, especially if it goes away when the engine warms up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so should i run thicker oil since its so hot? It only started since its been 90 degrees out
The engine has a 190-ish degree thermostat.

40 degrees, or 90 degrees of ambient temperature make ZERO difference as long as the cooling system is in good condition.

What kind of oil should you use? CLEAN OIL. "Dino" oil is just fine, if it's clean. Synthetic is fine, if it's clean. Maybe take oil sample(s) to verify the condition of your oil. My Trailblazer routinely goes 13,000 miles, gets a fresh Wix filter and top-off, then goes another 13,000 miles before I change it. Oil testing confirms that the oil is still good after 26,000 miles. The Trailblazer only has 250,000 miles on it, so I don't know how this is going to work out long-term. I'll go that long or longer between changes on my K1500 since I have a full-flow filter AND a bypass filter on it. I'll put a bypass filter on the K2500 before too long.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Ok, well i just went to napa and they were out of mobile 1 synthetic so i picked up the napa synthetic 10w30 which they say is made by valvoline, i did some research and it is, but its not. Valvoline uses different additives so idk if i wanna put this oil in my high mileage truck. Any suggestions? I like to waste money tho so i usually change my oil every 3000 miles even with synthetic, makes me feel a little better. So idk if ittl be ok to use this napa oil, i was using gulf synthetic 10w30 for the past year but honestly i just used it because thats what my shop carried.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
All good stuff there Shurkey!

I always say in these threads, if it leaks or burns oil go with the cheapest stuff you can find and change it every 3-5000 miles. If it doesn't leak or burn oil do what Shurkey is doing. Run AMSOIL signature series oil with a filter change in the middle and do a used oil analysis after every oil change to see where your engines health is and if the oil broke down or was still good. 25,000 miles is perfectly fine for that oil

Edit: you can and should run Synthetic at extended intervals, if you change it every 3k you are losing all of the benefits of synthetic.