Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok my truck is a 96 with the vortec 350. So just glancing at our poost it's better for it to reach 208? As far as power? Or did I misunderstand

No. I would be worse. The PCM will pull one degree of timing if the temp reaches 208* under a heavy load.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohhhh ok thanks. I think I might make it turn on a little higher but probably not over 205

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I have had my fans on my truck for a little bit now. I even wired a manual switch to the wire that was supposed to go to the air conditioning wire. the switch turns both fans on however when I do this it does make my dash and dome lights flicker a litter when I first start them up. I am wondering if there is a way to fix this?? the battery is less than a year old and the alternator is a couple years old but probably has no more than 15000 miles on it. I would love to put a 140 amp alternator on it but the price and for what I have and how often both fans are no i dont think it is worth it. my other thought is the big 3 upgrade. especially the wire from the alternator to the battery. it seems to me like it is very small for a 105 amp alternator. what do you guys think?? could I do just the alternator to battery cable right now and the rest later?? I would clean and check the other battery grounds too.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the kit is set up with 2 relays and 2 power wires. the power wires are 12 gauge and the relays are 30 amp each. the grounds on both fans are 10 gauge.

Truckracer

Reaction score
Yep, you are simply pulling more juice than the electrical system can provide in that instant the fans come on. Once the alternator kicks up then the system goes back to normal.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

From when I was installing it.

You have to offset the fan by a couple inches which requires grinding off the factory mounts on the driver side so you'll clear the water pump. Also depending on how you shoose to mount the fan you will have to drill into the shroud so keep that in mind. Crown vic fans are a one piece deal so its a fan and shroud combo.

Also, you want to use a fan from a 98-02. Civilian or police model, the fans are the same. 98-02 are two speed for 03+ you'll need a fan speed controller since they are variable speed.

Yes I know I need to make a rad cover. I'm getting to it.

How did you mount that Vic fan. I have one from my old 01 Crown Vic Sport that I was thinking about using. it seems a little tall though. Did you cut it down at all? Did you ever get a rad cover made if so how did that turn out?

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you mount that Vic fan. I have one from my old 01 Crown Vic Sport that I was thinking about using. it seems a little tall though. Did you cut it down at all? Did you ever get a rad cover made if so how did that turn out?
I drilled the flat sections and used the push through fasteners you can get at any advance auto. You'll need to offset the fan so,you'll clear the water pump. I,just took a dremel and cut the mounting brackets from the driver side,of,the fan and mounted it just far enough over to clear the water pump.

Details on your sport? I had an 04 in midnight grey with a light flint interior.