Electric fans worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh104626

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with a 5.7. I was wondering if electric fans would be worth it. Would I need an upgraded alternator or is stock one good enough? Is there really any noticeable hp differences? And what would it take to install one of these?

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with a 5.7. I was wondering if electric fans would be worth it. Would I need an upgraded alternator or is stock one good enough? Is there really any noticeable hp differences? And what would it take to install one of these?
read this

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youll get mixed opinions. I havent do it yet, but i plan on it some day for, but not going to rig up something that wasnt designed for it, will spend the extra money for aftermarket radiator with built in efans

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
read this
I was going to post this but you beat me to it. Everything you need to know, is in there. As for HP gains, well,, somewhat at higher RPMs, but not a lot. Mostly noticable when it's hot out side. Also, it is a big help on the AC system in the dead of summer, when it's over 90° F outside.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I felt a difference in power on my 88, zero difference on my 98. But the AC is a lot colder at a standstill. I used a Lincoln MarkVIII fan.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want an opinion not to do it, ask L31maxexpress

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Camaro fans, they quit now I have some parts store universal fans and a temp controlled switch. I have intermittent issues with them. I’ll be putting a water pump driven fan and clutch setup back on like playingwithtbi and others have in their trucks.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Multiple ways to do it,i used a https://www.autocoolguy.com/home hf-125
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
with 2x 16" high performance 40 amp spal puller fan's
you can set the rpm for the fan's
and rpm increase for when your a/c kick's on
it also has a failsafe switch for when you want to run them 100%
small difference in hp,

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reasoning for installing them was for aesthetics and the fact that I’ve always had a hard time installing and uninstalling fan clutches. But I don’t care about that, I prefer functionality and durability now.