EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david97

Reaction score
Im thinking about deleting my egr valve. Can I just tape off the plug that goes on the valve or is there a plug I have to pay?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can remove the EGR valve, then cap off the hole in the intake, and plug the hole in the exhaust manifold, but then you will need to have the ECM reprogrammed to remove the programming for the EGR, or the ECM will be in limp mode and run worse than if you had the EGR in there to start with.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the egr valve will not affect how it runs. I have removed them on many vehicles. You will get the check engine light of course but no limp home modes. The 96 on up years are more picky but wont affect it badly. EGR only works when the engine is warm, in gear, at speed. It is shut off at idle, under acceleration, and at full throttle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It'll ping under load and part throttle. Trust me on that. (without a custom tune)

Richard

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never had an engine ping after deleting egr, but not everyone gets lucky, lol. Most were on carbed engines but not even the injected engines were affected negatively. My engines never ran lean though, the ecm or carbs compensated for the purer air fuel mixtures

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a carb engine, You can remove the EGR with no problems. It will help performance a little. On a TBI OBD 1 engine ( 1988 to 1995 ), removing the EGR will take away from performance some what. On a Vortec OBD 2 engine 1996 up it will be an even worst effect. Sense dave97s truck looks to be a 97, and removing the pipe from the exhaust manifold you will most likely damage the pipe and won't be able to put it back on. If the ECM goes into limp mode, the gas millage, and performance will suffer. It may only be a little bit, but there will not be any gain in performance by removing the EGR with out tuning the ECM. To prove this point, simply unplug the electrical connector on the EGR and see what happens.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it is performance gains dave97 is looking for, there are a lot of them that can be done to the truck. EG the throttle blade mod is effective and easy to do. A cold air filter will help a little @ WOT. A free flowing exhaust will help. Headers will help, shorty's for bottom end or long tube for mid range to high RPMs. An X pipe. A custom tune is better, but even a flash tune will help.And all that is with out going into the engine. A cam and head swap is very effective. These engines are capable of 400 HP with the OE fuel system, with a lot of Mods. and tweaking.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
"Never had any problems" - words of someone who did not hear the detonation, did not detect the knock retard, and obviously was not watching this activity on a graphing scanner. I like to deal in facts. :)

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
EGR delete shouldn't cause a ping, if anything it should make it run better, not necessarily noticeable, but since its entire function is to recirculate exhaust gas, just for the sole purpose of emissions only, by getting rid of the system it would not take the hot air from the exhaust and send it to the intake, thus helping performance.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EGR delete shouldn't cause a ping, if anything it should make it run better, not necessarily noticeable, but since its entire function is to recirculate exhaust gas, just for the sole purpose of emissions only, by getting rid of the system it would not take the hot air from the exhaust and send it to the intake, thus helping performance.
Only partially correct. The (mostly) inert gas introduced by the EGR valve is not just to cut down on emissions (NOx), it does also reduce the tendency to ping because it helps cool the combustion chamber simply because the exhaust gas is pretty much depleted in terms of what will burn. This isn't some happy byproduct of the design, it is part of the intent of the design. This (combined with other aspects of the engine design) is how you are able to run regular grade fuel given the fuel and timing maps in the stock tune.

Removing the EGR valve, or operating with a defective one, can (and often does) result in pinging, whether you believe me or not. Maybe as I suggested in a previous reply, you could spend some time with a graphing scanner and watch the knock counts, and witness knock retard - in other words the ECM/PCM pulling timing back out because of the pinging. Not exactly what you want if you're interested in a performance increase. This is a performance -decrease-

Richard