EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rand Man

Reaction score
I suspect I may have this trouble with my truck. I bought '89 GMC 1500, 4x4 that was smoking like hell. First thing I did was buy a salvage engine, and take it in for an engine swap. The shop called me and asked if I wanted to delete the EGR. I said OK, but maybe I shouldn't have.

I don't have a lot to compare it with, because I hardly drove the truck before. Drove it home tonight after the swap. Definitely missing, running rough. If I stomp on it and wind it out it just falls flat, and the check engine light comes on. I've heard these trucks run out of steam around 5000, but this is rediculous.

Computer pulling timing out sounds like my problem. I'll check the codes in the morning. Thoughts?

Rand Man

Reaction score
Also, I looked under the hood. I don't don't think my exhaust gas temp sensor is hooked up. Wouldn't the stock 1989 TBI system need an EGT input?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I suspect I may have this trouble with my truck. I bought '89 GMC 1500, 4x4 that was smoking like hell. First thing I did was buy a salvage engine, and take it in for an engine swap. The shop called me and asked if I wanted to delete the EGR. I said OK, but maybe I shouldn't have.

I don't have a lot to compare it with, because I hardly drove the truck before. Drove it home tonight after the swap. Definitely missing, running rough. If I stomp on it and wind it out it just falls flat, and the check engine light comes on. I've heard these trucks run out of steam around 5000, but this is rediculous.

Computer pulling timing out sounds like my problem. I'll check the codes in the morning. Thoughts?
"salvage engine". Could be anything dude

Rand Man

Reaction score
Yeah, I typed "salvage", rather than explain it is a rebuilt '91 350 with less than 5,000 miles when wrecked.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
When the pcm in an L31 opens the EGR valve, it also turns down the fuel. The most comprehensive bit of info I've seen on this claims a realistic drop of .4 mpg with EGR disabled or blocked. Idle does smooth out though, and part throttle cruise increases.

Rand Man

Reaction score
I checked the codes. Throwing 43

A friend looked at it said the smog pump had been removed, but my EGR valve was at least still mounted. He agreed the timing seems to be seriously retarded. I'll see if I can check the base timing.

Rand Man

Reaction score
I installed a new knock sensor today. No more codes on a 50 mile trip. Runs a lot better. Still doggy, compared to any other 350 Chevy I've ever owned, but drivable.

I'm guessing my problems don't apply to the EGR delete. Not sure.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
still could be a number of things. Mine was the same way till I filled the gas tank up over halfway